• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NYS Inspection...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Been a long, long, time since I was a NYS inspector, my xj is late.

The perpindicular wear bars are visible on the outside edges of my 31's, but across the majority of the tread is pristine.; no wear bars present, plenty of tread depth.

Would like to delay the purchase of new tires as long as possible, would the above conditions constitute failure?

Thanks,

Mike NAXJA # 300

Probably won't be a problem, but really it depends on the inspector. I have had inspectors that just glanced things over, and I have had inspectors that spent forever just looking for something to ding me on. I prefer to go to a shop where I know someone. If your XJ has OBDII be ready for that, make sure your check engine light isn't on or they will fail you.

I am taking my XJ for inspection tomorrow, but everything is in good shape and I know the inspector, so I'm not worried.

Good luck!!

If it fails at one inspection station, can you bring it to another? Some inspectors are easier than others.
When I lived in Buffalo I brought in my bike for inspection. Knowing my horn didn't work, when he told me to blow the horn, I quickly leaned over my handlebars and screamed "GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY" at the top of my lungs. The inspector, quite shaken, handed me my inspection sticker, and off I went!

Most inspectors will scrape your old sticker if it is overdue regardless of whether you pass or not, so you may be driving around without a sticker, which is a huge cop magnet. I'm not sure if they have to give you a temporary or not.

I am a NYS inspector . First off your tires will only fail if the tread is worn to 2/16ths of and inch or less. If your vehicle inspection is past due by law they remove the old sticker before they inspect it and if it fails they will not and can not give you a tempoary the only time a temp. inpection sticker is issued is when you register a vehicle for the first time then you you will recieve a 10 day temporary inspection sticker. As of this year there is a new inspection system by which your information is inputed into a computer which is connected to the state if your vehicle fails or passes the info is sent to the state .So if you fail inspection you cant just go down the road and hope somebody else will pass it because they will already know if you have failed somewhere else.This new system will even tell the inspector if you have a warrant out for your arrest or if you are behind on child support payments or anything else and if it comes back bad the state may not let the inspector pass your vehicle and they will scrape your sticker off for that reason.Personally I think its a load of crap but soon we will have the almighty emmisions smog test to deal with too and we will be paying about $50 a year for inspections and only about half of the cars will pass. The state is really putting a stranglehold on everybody car owners and shop owners alike! As long as everything is in good working order and you dont have anything that is even a little questionable wrong with your Jeep you will pass fine. Good luck!

BigDadys94xj said:
If your vehicle inspection is past due by law they remove the old sticker before they inspect it and if it fails they will not and can not give you a temporary

In PA, I believe the "letter of the law" is that they scrape the sticker off before inspection, regardless of the date. And if you fail (even if you took the car in 80 days prior to expiration), you have only THREE DAYS to get it fixed. You pay the full fee for the first one... but get a reduced "re-inspection"... this pretty much eliminates the idea of "shopping for a shop that'll pass it".

So if you fail inspection you cant just go down the road and hope somebody else will pass it because they will already know if you have failed somewhere else.

That's a bit draconian. But it's based on basically the same concept as our 3-day rule: It's one thing to not know of a problem. It's something else altogether to ignore it!

Personally I think its a load of crap but soon we will have the almighty emmisions smog test to deal with too and we will be paying about $50 a year for inspections and only about half of the cars will pass. The state is really putting a stranglehold on everybody car owners and shop owners alike!

Our PA inspection (w/smog) generally runs $50-75, depending on where you take it. And we've had smog tests since the mid 80's... so we're WAY AHEAD of you guys on inspection expenses!

I liked it when I lived in North Dakota no inspection of any kind! The only draw back was there was alot of S##t driving down the road that I wouldnt even drive through a field!

BigDady,

Thanks for the update on NYS Inspections. Back around 1980 we used to use a "donor" car, whatever vehicle available with clean emissions lest the car on the lift failed. I vaguely remember the state then awarded a contract to some politicians' relative/friend that required my boss (friend) buy a $30k machine, it was hooked up to Albany via a modem, I guess, and half the time we ran out of stickers because of ineptness of whoever was responsible for supplying the stickers. This was before the rollers, the emissions was measured at idle, I think, and often if you pulled the probe out of the tailpipe just enough the car would pass. Ah, the good old days...

My '98 never fails, I maintain it well but back then even cracked rubber on a brake hose was grounds for failure. Imagine demonstrating to a customer with a biga#@ prybar that their lower ball joints were shot.

I have stainless hoses from RE so the former's a non issue. I do have a K&N cone, but that has never been a problem either. I still keep the factory airbox, though.

I've never been late once in my life with my inspection, but this year none of the planets were aligned and the due day crept by (I knew it was coming) but I hope to have everything rectified by Saturday. Like I mentioned before, these old-timers will work with you, they permanently fixed my RE trackbar "POP" for $25, can't ask for more than that.

Again, thanks for the up-to-date report on what Patakis' doing. That's why in less than two years I'll be in Fl.

Mike

NAXJA # 300

Back