• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lengthen or SYE???

Wondo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i'm trying to figure out what i should do here. Right now i have a 97, 4.0 auto trans, with a 3 inch rustys lift with the full leaf packs. I"m soon going to be going up to 4.5 with coil spacers and shackles, its got a 1 inch t-case drop on it and 2 1/2 degree shims with zero vibes. Now do you think when i go up to 4.5 inches i should just get the driveshaft lengthened, or get the hack and tap sye from RE? And i suppose if i do that i can use a front drive shaft from a xj, but i have to get some type of adapter? How much is that and where do i get it? Thanks everyone

Dave

get an HD SYE - there is a reason that Tom Woods doesnt sell shafts for people with RE Hack and Tap kits...

Actually tom woods wont sell to guys who run the RE sye kit because it cuts into his profits.

The RE hack and tap is plenty strong to handle anyting you can throw at it and dont waste mone with a TW DS check out arizona driveline, same or better product for much less!

xjnation said:
Actually tom woods wont sell to guys who run the RE sye kit because it cuts into his profits.
umm... something more to the tune of improper instalations giving him more problems than its worth to diagnose peoples problems (IIRC)

however that is not the point - the point of my post was saying to do it right, and get the HD replacement shaft...

How about SYE and Lengthened.
I vote do it right the first time and save dollars in the long run.
I lifted mine to 4.5 (first lift) and lengthened the D/S and added a double cardan T-case end. (kept the T-case output shaft slip yoke) Vibration city, that was with a t-case drop and shims.
Installed the SYE (AA-HD) and got a T/W shaft and it was like night and day.
The money I paid for the D/S mod would have covered over half the SYE and correct D/S.

01XJ

Back