• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rust at front seat mounting bolts fix?

19cherokee92

NAXJA Forum User
pulled the seats and carpet up on my 92 XJ to see what was going on and the only rust I found was at the rear 2 of the 4 seat mounting bolts on the drivers side. the area around both bolts is starting to get ate up with rust but no holes yet. everything else looks to be in good shape (in the front cab area at least, the rear cargo area has a few small holes started above the exhaust)

I noticed that there is a crossbrace on the unibody on the underneath side where those bolts are. does this mean I will need to take that brace off in order to fix the rust?

from searching I have found a few different methods of fixing rusty floorboards but did not see any info on what to do about those braces. the braces look to be welded on to the unibody to me

TIA

I believe the rear mounting brackets/bolts on the inside are the anchor point for the seat belt. If that is the case, you are going to have to come up with something more solid than just seat mounting bolts. Probably going to have to put some sort of fitted plate on the bottom and put a longer bolt of the same rating through it all.

Good luck!

On a 92, the seat mounting bolts and the seat belt mounting bolts are different.

As for as rust on the rear two bolts, I would clean them from the top as best you can, use a "rust converter" like ospho and then spray them with a rust preventative........cold galvanize would be the minimum in my opinion. POR-15 would might be better. Just remember, they had to have moisture to rust.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the tips!

it looks like the moisture came in thru the bottom where that crossbrace is mounted to the unibody, which is why I am asking about removing that crossbrace or other suggestions on what to do. scrape and POR on the top was my plan but I am wondering if water still gets in thru the bottom if my efforts will be futile? I guess another way to put it is do I need to remove that crossbrace in order to do a good job at stopping the rust? or could I coat the bottom of the unibody at the crossbrace location to inhibit further rust?

Back