• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crok tire carrier

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
theres been talk, but i haven't been able to find any posts with people who actually have the new tire carrier and bumper. i understand it sitting high, for clearance issues, but is it stout enough to be held that high? seems like it would bend into the rear window if it hit anything. it does look pretty cool though!

brandon
exploring my options for a tire carrier, since the BPI/PSC one is $$$, and i hear too many stories of the c4x4 carrier getting snagged up...

The C-Rok mounts to the back surface of the bumper just like the C4x4. To me this would make it vulnerable to rocks and hanging up just the same. I see what you mean about the height being an issue, it just gives is that much more leverage on the mounting points.

Greg

No personal experience with the bumper but given C-Rok's reputation around here I would highly doubt he would let anything out the door that wasn't extremely durable.

Also, the C-Rok bumper does not mount like the C4x4 bumper. It also mounts in 4 places to the hitch/skid mounting holes and also several points on the rear quarterpanels.

Last edited:
Dirk Pitt said:
No personal experience with the bumper but given C-Rok's reputation around here I would highly doubt he would let anything out the door that wasn't extremely durable.

Also, the C-Rok bumper does not mount like the C4x4 bumper. It also mounts in 4 places to the hitch/skid mounting holes and also several points on the rear quarterpanels.

both bumpers mount securely; i'm more concerned with crok carrier being up so high, creating all that leverage...

brandon

Urban Redneck said:
Why don't you pm him and ask him for how much clearence is between the window and the mount?
Here's a side pic of our carrier. There is several inches of clearance off the back window and about 2 inches of minimum clearance off the lift gate at the closest points near the latch and wiper mount.

Carrier%20On%20Side.JPG

Our experience is that most tire carriers experience movement due to either tolerances at the hinge point or translated movement of the entire bumper at the mounts. When open, there is enough tolerance in our hinge that you can move the carrier very slightly. This is both from a compression of the plastic washer and general tolerance of the hinge. When latched, the carrier is very rigid and there is essentially no movement or rattle at all.

C-ROK said:
Here's a side pic of our carrier. There is several inches of clearance off the back window and about 2 inches of minimum clearance off the lift gate at the closest points near the latch and wiper mount.

Carrier%20On%20Side.JPG

Our experience is that most tire carriers experience movement due to either tolerances at the hinge point or translated movement of the entire bumper at the mounts. When open, there is enough tolerance in our hinge that you can move the carrier very slightly. This is both from a compression of the plastic washer and general tolerance of the hinge. When latched, the carrier is very rigid and there is essentially no movement or rattle at all.

Great looking product, per usual, Greg!

xjj33p3r said:
I know a guy with a c4x4 rear bumper, and the tire carrier didn't even line up properly after installed. What a p.o.s.

WHO? We've sold a ton of C4x4 rear bumper systems, and I can't think of one person who came back and said they had any problems.

I got the C-rok bumper and tire carrier a few weeks ago. Both look very nice, just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can paint them. But both pieces look great and I would highly recommend them to anybody. -Shawn

Quick question on the tire carrier.

Last I looked at the site, it didn't say they are painted. All the pics look like bare metal.

Are they painting them black yet, or just letting the customer do it? I don't suppose it matters much.

Also I read somewhere (can't remember) that C-Rok was going to take out, or offer other options without, the C-Rok logo cut into nearly all their products. Anyone else remember that? I wish I could remember where I read it.

Some people (me included) would like a choice to display a company name (or not).

Or maybe have 'em cut skulls in it..... lol...

I for one like the look and design of the bumper and the tire carrier.... but doing other mods first.

Jeepin Jason said:
WHO? We've sold a ton of C4x4 rear bumper systems, and I can't think of one person who came back and said they had any problems.

My bet is he doesnt have an answer. Its pretty easy to say I know a guy

Back