• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring swap

Jeep839

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 90 XJ and i would like to do an entire wire harness swap get ride off all the shitty wiring in my auto 4.0 jeep that gives me nothing but trouble. i also wanted to put the newer looking dash in the 90 along with some other interior items. i would like to take like a 2000 XJ and put all of the wiring in computer harness and all. so is this worth it bc i can get a 2000 xj cheap that is wrecked and just take the stuff out of that and from there i would take all the wiring and computer stuff out. has anyone done a dash swap?

Jeep839 said:
so i have a 90 XJ and i would like to do an entire wire harness swap get ride off all the shitty wiring in my auto 4.0 jeep that gives me nothing but trouble. i also wanted to put the newer looking dash in the 90 along with some other interior items. i would like to take like a 2000 XJ and put all of the wiring in computer harness and all. so is this worth it bc i can get a 2000 xj cheap that is wrecked and just take the stuff out of that and from there i would take all the wiring and computer stuff out. has anyone done a dash swap?

On my 86 XJ I swapped out the 2.8 v6 and went with a 92 4.0 HO. This required a complete change of all the wiring, dash included. The swap of dash wires isn't that bad from an 86 to a 92, but I think going from a 90 to a 2000 will be more complicated because of the extra sensors involved with the OBD2 computer system. The OBD2 has a bunch of different sensors including different engine sensors, tranny sensors, battery temp sensors, gas tank sensors, multiple exhaust sensors, and different speed sensor. The 2000 also uses an airbag steering wheel which is quite different than your 90 and a different style of fuel pump and fuel injection. If your donor has all of the parts in good condition you can do it by just changing every wire in the jeep, along with stuff on the drive train etc. If OBD2 doesn't see all of the sensors it will throw error codes which will cause inspection troubles depending on where you live.
Dave
Dave

thanks alot for the info maybe i will just go with something older like a 92 93 bc then i could just get ride of the renix system i would like to have tht computer hook up it's very nice.

Back