• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why would you need this?

I assume you're referring to the bronze distributor gear? It's an old hot rodder's item. Bronze gears will wear before a steel gear will. So, since the distributor is being run from a corresponding gear on the camshaft, you want the distributor gear to wear rather than the cam. The distributor gear can be easily replaced - to replace the cam gear, you have to replace the entire camshaft. Which would you rather do?

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I would rather replace the distrib gear that cam. Thanks.

Silent

Honestly, I'd say it's all academic. Have you had issues with or heard of anyone having premature distributor gear wear? Most people get at least 200K out of their 4.0's, and I've never heard of distributor/cam gear wear being an issue. It'd be a shame to throw away 80 bucks.

I could be wrong though....

What about the last thing on that page.

Idle speed controller switch

What exactly does it do? It just seems like a simple switch and wire.

Shifter mounted toggle switch for your idle speed controller.

So I can turn the idle speed controller off? Why?

The last thing on the page is just a switch and a wire, along with a little mount to put the switch on your manual gearshift column. Then you have to buy the idle speed controller device listed higher up on the page. The extra switch is so that you can switch it without taking your hand off the shift lever.

AndyS said:
Honestly, I'd say it's all academic. Have you had issues with or heard of anyone having premature distributor gear wear? Most people get at least 200K out of their 4.0's, and I've never heard of distributor/cam gear wear being an issue. It'd be a shame to throw away 80 bucks.

I could be wrong though....

Chevy's used to have issues with this; intake manifold thickness caused differences with height and gear mesh, so shims were needed. If the shims weren't installed, or installing at the wrong height, the gears would wear prematurely.

I've never heard of any Jeeps having this issue however.

Back