• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ring gear backlash?

XJ NORM

NAXJA Forum User
i just put my POWERTRAX NO-SLIP locker in this weekend. i didn't have the right wrench to fit the job, so i had to take off the clamps holding the ring gear in place so i could get to the roll pin. the ring gear moved a small bit, but i did'nt give it much thought, until i started to drive. i hear a KLUNK now and then. i haven't nailed it down to what makes it happen. also it klunks when i put it in drive. so now i'm thinking i messed up the backlash. anybody tell me where to find info on how to set the backlash?
thanks,
NORM

Well the No-slip usually does bang alot,but since you have no reference as to what the backlash is now you could have some issues with that also!Carrier bearing pre-load would also be of concern!I use a 36mm (gland nut-early VW beetle)welded on a piece of 1" square stock to adjust the collar!

XJ NORM said:
i just put my POWERTRAX NO-SLIP locker in this weekend. i didn't have the right wrench to fit the job, so i had to take off the clamps holding the ring gear in place so i could get to the roll pin. the ring gear moved a small bit, but i did'nt give it much thought, until i started to drive. i hear a KLUNK now and then. i haven't nailed it down to what makes it happen. also it klunks when i put it in drive. so now i'm thinking i messed up the backlash. anybody tell me where to find info on how to set the backlash?
thanks,
NORM

Backlash specs are D35 & ChryCo 8.25 (.006-.010) If you are hearing a backlash clunk then you got some burly amounts of back lash in there! If your backlash is that far out you will hear gear noise coming from the axle under load or decel. If left for long and backlash is the issue, teeth will start bustin off the pinion gear and ring gear likewise. I don really see how your ring and pinion could change their relation to each other though! That locker is within the carrier! Replacing the guts of the carrier does not affect the ring and pinion setup at all!

FUNKYTEE

I saw this was a 2001 and assumed it was an 8.25,either way it read strange regarding the "missing" tool.I still think its just the "locker" especially" if its a D35,it would be hard to mess up the set-up on that!The auto's seem to bang the most/worst!

I don't know if it would make a clunking, but when you say the clamps, are you refering to the being caps? Kind of a C looking piece with two bolts? I hope you made sure to put them back in the same way?

verrive said:
I don't know if it would make a clunking, but when you say the clamps, are you refering to the being caps? Kind of a C looking piece with two bolts? I hope you made sure to put them back in the same way?

yean, not sure they went back the same, i didn't think
it was important since all the bolts are the same. guess i rushed in without
enough info. think i need to bring it to the garage? $$85.00 hr. OUCH
thanks
norm

I've personally never been able to r&r the carrier on an 8.25 WITHOUT reseting the backlash. :repair:

XJ NORM said:
thanks,
NORM

Im still confused as to what axle were dealing with?

XJ NORM said:
i just put my POWERTRAX NO-SLIP locker in this weekend. i didn't have the right wrench to fit the job, so i had to take off the clamps holding the ring gear in place so i could get to the roll pin.
I guess I ASS-U-MEd he was talking about an 8.25 since it uses clamps to hold the BL adjusters in place...

it's a dana 35 axle, i'm sorry i'm just begining this adventure with my jeep.
i barely changed my oil before this!!! the abbreviations are confuseing, and i don't know the parts names, yet. i had to use a larger drive on the socket
to get the threaded roll pin out. that meant i had to remove the c- shaped clamp that (now i know) holds the ring gear in place. also loosened other side to slide axle to get c-clip out. that is when ring gear started to roll. it didn't move much, BUT , when we're talking .006- .010 backlash i'm figuring thats my problem. but with my VAST mechanical knowlage...it could mean my radio antenna needs adjusting....lol
i'm not doing to bad-3" buget lift (new RE coil springs waiting to install)
31's on cragar rims
ROCK-RATZ bumpers front and rear
SKYJACKER quick disconnect sway bar links( not very quick)
9000, MILEMARKER winch
POWERTRAX NO-SLIP LOCKER(with klunk)
roof mounted spare tire
48" HI-LIFT jack
empty wallet

Sounds like you removed the carrier bearing end caps and perhaps didn;t get them reinstalled correctly. Or perhaps if installed in the correct orientation perhaps not tightened down correctly. Don;t recall but doesn't the D-35 shim the carrier bearing from the outside, very thick shims like the ARB? Did you get those reinstalled on the correct sides? That would cause the noise for sure.
Might need to do a quick learn on differental setup, buy a dial gauge and a few shims and open it back up. Right off the bat, I would stop driving it and give it a look or get it to someone who can. If you got the shims in the wrong side or left one out, that could eat your gears real quick.

edit: if you slid the carrier back and you are saying the ring gear rotated so that the same teeth weren't making contact with the pinion when you reinstalled, don;t sweat that, that will not change anything. mixing up the shims, leaving one out, or reversing the bearing end caps will effect the gear mesh.

Last edited:
Thats correct!As long as you didnt change anything your gear set-up will be fine.I already said the noise your hearing is the locker,get used to it!!!!

Back