• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lcokright to Spider gears

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I removed the lockright and have the spider gears back in.

The spiders came from a 3.55 carrier and went into a 4.10 carrier.

The thrust washers(whatever they are really called) did not fit in the carrier, no way no how.

Is this correct, or do the washers need to go in? There is no play in the spiders, so I am confounded.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fergie

Fergie said:

The thrust washers(whatever they are really called) did not fit in the carrier, no way no how.

Is this correct, or do the washers need to go in? There is no play in the spiders, so I am confounded.

Thanks

Fergie
Uhmm?What axle?

Are you referring to the thrust washers on the side gears, or the spiders on the cross shaft. Some of the thrust washers for the spiders have a lip that requires they be installed w/ the gear rather than slide them in after the spiders are in place. Also, the shims on the side gears sometimes stick to the gear and are very hard to remove and sometimes even realize they are seperate from the gear. If you have two shims in there, it would probably be difficult to get the shims in under the spiders.

I'm talking about the washers that go behind the samller set of gears.

I think I recall installing the washers on the side gears when I did the LR install, but did not see any when I removed the LR.

I'll have to check tomorrow.

Also, what is the easiest way to get the carrier back into the diff? I had a hell of a time getting it back in and the shims lined up correctly.

Thanks

Fergie

Shims on a 30 belong between the carrier bearings and the carrier!
No joke,no mix-up,sorry!

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
Shims on a 30 belong between the carrier bearings and the carrier!
No joke,no mix-up,sorry!
And if the shims arent between the bearing and carrier, is it *okay* to drive on the axle until time allows you to get teh bearings pressed off and new ones pressed on?

explorer said:
Was the carrier a tight fit putting it back in? And did you check the backlash?
I kept everything the same putting it in as when I pulled it out to remove the LR.

I was under the impression that BL did not need to be checked if one was doing a simple lunchbox install/uninstall.

Fergie

Fergie said:

Thanks

Fergie

Fergie,
If I read this right, you removed the Loc-Right and since you "lost" <wink> your old spider gears (and washers), you subbed some in from a different carrier. Your question is that the spider gear washers don't fit, and do you need them>? Right?

I believe the spider gear shims are fitted for the carrier and gears. Since you are using different spider gears, you likely need different thickness shims, or new gears, or both. Not exactly sure what would happen if you ran the carrier with no spider gear shims. If the clearances dissapeared or the spiders binded, it would act like a trash-loc.

Last edited:
Fergie said:
I kept everything the same putting it in as when I pulled it out to remove the LR.

I was under the impression that BL did not need to be checked if one was doing a simple lunchbox install/uninstall.

Fergie

Correct.

To follow up on the D30 carrier install and "shim" issue:

The D30 preload shims are between the carrier and the bearing. They are thin, unlike the D35 "shims"<spacers> and you may not see them under the bearing. Perhaps you are thinking of the bearing caps...?

The D30 carrier IS a PITA to remove and reinstall. You are suposto use a carrier spreader to relieve this - few do, so it goes in and out kinda hard :) Use of a softblow hammer is not unheard of ;)
Here is a link to the exploded view of the D30 to show you how it all goes together.
http://www.billhughes.com/dana30/

I hope this is of assistance.

Last edited:
If you're talking about the dish shaped washers that go under the spider gears, they DO need to be there. The gear and the carrier are not machined to ride against each other.
You KNOW that thing's gonna fight you every step of the way because it KNOWS you're getting a Toy and demoting the XJ to DD duties... :laugh3:

Zuki-Ron: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5642&highlight=spider

This is what I was going off of.

BillR- That is what I was figuring. How do I get them back in there?

What I am going to do for now is this:

Remove the carrier, set the shims aside, marking them for what side they came from. Remove the ring gear. I'll get the dish shaped washers in the carrier somehow, and reinstall everything, minus the shims and ring gear. When I get the Jeep back on the road, I'll take the front DS out.

Will this set-up work for a short time to get the bearing pressed off and shims put under?

Thanks all

Fergie

Spiders:
I looked up the PNs for the diff gear/cross shaft/washers kit. Same PN on both carriers (large and small). I also looked up the PNs for the spiders, sidegears, and washers. All same PNs between the carriers. So it looks like good times, unknown why it didn't go together according to hoyle.:dunno: Disclaimer: I was only able to look up part numbers for a 97' model year XJ.

If you can get the carrier back in with the shims as they were (on the outside-WTF!?) AND the backlash isn't too weird, it should hold to gether untill you can drive it to a shop and have them remove the bearings and re-set the preload. Removing the DS won't do anything as the carrier is active when the Jeep moves in, or out of 4WD.

Last edited:
I'm gonna call a local shop and see what they can do.

I dont think the preload or backlash needs to be check ore reset as I wasnt having any problems previously.

I'm going to have the shop pull the bearings off, and put them back on with the shims where they are suppossed to be.

Fergie

Fergie said:
BillR- That is what I was figuring. How do I get them back in there?
Same way they came out. :laugh3:
Pull the carrier, set the spider w/washer near the hole, roll one side gear and the spider will move to the correct spot. You'll probably need a vice for this, as you'll need to turn one side gear and keep the other FROM turning.
OR, call me later, as I MAY have a carrier WITH spiders installed already. I'll make you a deal... like...free?:wave:
In ANY case, I have a press where we can get the bearings off and on.

Back