• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this necessary?

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 4.5" lift with 30 " tires on stock rims. stock gears (3.55), 8.25 axle. if i go to 32's will i need to regear to 4.56. how much power will i lose, gas mileage...all the odds and ends. thanks

J98cherokee said:
I have a 4.5" lift with 30 " tires on stock rims. stock gears (3.55), 8.25 axle. if i go to 32's will i need to regear to 4.56. how much power will i lose, gas mileage...all the odds and ends. thanks

you could get around on 3.55's but going uphill will be sluggish and once you do 4.56's you'll go: damn, why didn't I do that before. I don't think anyone can put a number to it though.

Kejtar said:
you could get around on 3.55's but going uphill will be sluggish and once you do 4.56's you'll go: damn, why didn't I do that before. I don't think anyone can put a number to it though.
I can - my guesstimate right now is that I regained about 1.5mpg when I regeared. The acceleration I got back again was great though; I didn't realize how much I'd lost until regearing from 3.55 to 4.56 with my 32s.

I have the maintenance/fuel spreadsheet at home with the exact figures...almost every tank of gas I've put in since getting it 112,000 miles and 3.5 years ago...

Regear; you won't be sorry you did.

First go see one of those ladies with the crystal ball(like,what are you really going to do in the future)!I loved my 4.10's with my 32's, but then I went to 33's,it really shows on the long uphills,the trans is constantly shifting(hunting) for the right gear!

well would i be alright with 3.55 till i got the money to regear atleast the rear first and pull the front driveshaft. it will take me about a month and a half to get the money to regear atleast the rear axle

Just wait until you can regear both at the same time. Plenty of folks run the stock gears with big tires, it shouldn't be a problem to wait a bit.

Greg

J98cherokee said:
well would i be alright with 3.55 till i got the money to regear atleast the rear first and pull the front driveshaft. it will take me about a month and a half to get the money to regear atleast the rear axle

you will be fine in the mean time.. just set your mind to doing the gears and dont keep putting it off.. you will be very happy you did it...

not absolutly nescessary but avery good idea. i have the stock 3.07 gears now with 31s and can barley stay at 60 going up hills on the highway. im in the process of regearing to 4.56. if you plan on going any bigger you will definatly want to regear. www.4wheelerssupply.com has some great deals on gears with free shipping but there are also alot of great vendors on this board that can help you out as well and why not help out a fellow naxja'er?
good luck

Back