• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whos the gear expert?

IUPxj94

NAXJA Forum User
so i got what was supposed to be 4.10 gears for a dana 44 but after doing the math(number of ring gear teeth/ number of pinion gear teeth) with is 45 teeth on rig and 11 on pinion wich equals 4.090909. are these 4.10s? or are they 4.09s? i am very confused here and any help would be great

dave

IUPxj94 said:
so i got what was supposed to be 4.10 gears for a dana 44 but after doing the math(number of ring gear teeth/ number of pinion gear teeth) with is 45 teeth on rig and 11 on pinion wich equals 4.090909. are these 4.10s? or are they 4.09s? i am very confused here and any help would be great

dave

that is close enough :) In the end you'll end up with something like 4.11's on one end and 4.10's on the other.

4.10's or 4.11's. There is no difference. Nice gear with 31-33's. You might want to go with 4.56 or 4.88 with 33 or 35's but this is a good ratio for a dd and weekend wheeler.

well i am a "weekend wheeler" and i thought that just one "click" of would be ok too but i ahve 3.55 in the front of jeep and 3.54 in the back and i cant even put it in four wheel drive going downt the dry, wet, snowy, raod at all. it binds up and makes a hell of a poping sound even as slow as 10 mph's

you guys sure it will be ok.

dave

ps. i am planning on matching it with a stock hpd30 out of a four banger xj

IUPxj94 said:
well i am a "weekend wheeler" and i thought that just one "click" of would be ok too but i ahve 3.55 in the front of jeep and 3.54 in the back and i cant even put it in four wheel drive going downt the dry, wet, snowy, raod at all. it binds up and makes a hell of a poping sound even as slow as 10 mph's

dave

sounds like you have a bigger problem than your gears - might be internal to the t-case or couls be your front end gears - have you pulled the diff cover since trying 4x4?

XJ_ranger said:
sounds like you have a bigger problem than your gears - might be internal to the t-case or couls be your front end gears - have you pulled the diff cover since trying 4x4?
Yeah... what he said....... You should be able to drive on the wet road and in snow without any problems. The dry stuff is different.

havent pissed with the front yet. since i am planning on switching the whole axle. and the 4x4 worked fine till i put the d44 in the back. i just figured it was the miss match of the gears so i thought i would get matched gears and fix the problem and i am in the same spot

IUPxj94 said:

dave

That's not from the diff in gear ratios. You are safe for around 1% diff or so or a little more. I'm going to be running 5.38 gears in my front hp44 and 5.43 gears in my rear 9". The dana and ford diffs don't exactly match and this is perfectly fine. Lots of Toyota guys do something like this when they try to match up a front dana 44 and rear toy 8". They might even try 5.38's in the front and 5.29's in the rear toy 8". It is normal for you to bind up when in 4 wheel drive and making a tight turn, both diffs are spinning the same speed and U are fighting it a bit, the 242 t-case with 4 wheel full time has a slight diff speeds between the 2 d.s.'s so it doesn't bind as bad.

Troy

Thats the way it "is" based on the different axles(ring gear diameters).They do not come out mathematically "perfect",some axle combos have spreads alot larger than that!

then i wonder why my rid binds soo bad that i cant even get it out of first gear on the road or on any other surface other than mud or deep snow. and like i said it was fine before the 44.

are you sure that hte d44 rear is 3.54 or 3.55 whicever that you said? they came in many different gear ratios - including 3.73 which a parts yard could mess up...

Back