• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything Needed To ReGear

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ill be adding some 4:56`s soon. Got a friend that is well experienced with setting gears so installing them is not a problem. I know that there are some other odd and ends that I need other than just the ring and pinions. What all do I need?? I got the HP D30 RC, and Chry.8.25 29 spline. Thanks muchNAXJA :D

R&P and your standard rebuild kit with all the seals washers and bearings needed to rebuild an axle. You will want to do this while you have it apart.

might want to change the u-joints in the front axle shafts, and the ball joints. Doesn't hurt while your in there. I just did the samething going over to 4.10gears. Also, you could replace the hubs now as well.

There is no carrier break on the 8.25, but there is on the Dana 30. What's your current axle ratio? You may need a new carrier to hold those 4.56 gears.

I belive I have 3:55 isnt that what comes with the towing package??

BIG98XJ said:
I belive I have 3:55 isnt that what comes with the towing package??

The towing package doesn't change the gearing. If you have a 4.0L engine and automatic, the stock ratio is 3.55 -- but your original post didn't specify if you currently have stock gearing.

If you have a 4.0L and 5-speed your stock ratio is 3.07.

Back