• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter adjustment

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
My shifter has been not locking into gears other than Park unless i move it back and forth a bit. Additionally the orange selector doesnt seem to be fully filling the other gear symbols on the shifter. The jeep is a 94 auto aw4 .

This problem has started after i out in another tranny from another jeep. I think this may be because of the transmission shift gear cable which in my haynes and chiltons manual say to basically remove the bracket from the side of the tranny and locate an adjuster clamp (looks like T) and pry it adjust cable with the shifter in park and then push clamp back in. What i cant figure out is that i dont have that T clamp or anything similar to it. All i have is a cylindrical thing with a bracket atached to the bellhousing with the attaching rod out of it. Maybe i am missing something but some pics and or instruction would be helpful thanks. Or maybe this isnt the cause all together ???

pete

That cylindrical thing is the barrel where you adjust it. Facing down, there is a sector of the barrel that you can pop loose with a heavy pick or screwdriver, and pull down to disengage the locking mech. Push the cable against the spring and let it return gently afew times, and then push the locking tab back in.

It isn't real obvious if you haven't seen it. The tab is I believe towrard the trans side of the adjuster. It is a section about 3/8x1" that matches the contour of the barrel. On either side of the tab(the narrow sides), ther is a gap that you can hook to seperate it. It should pull out about 1/2" or more out.

Back