• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn siginal question

indianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello:

I have a 97 xj. When you use the left turn siginal, boath sides will flash until you turn the wheel to the left. I have seen a couple of other xj's with this problem, anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

Four things I'd check, but not from Jeep experience from my Buick days.

1. Lamps. If the park lamp filament is touching the turn filament then there is a short circuit.
2. Body connector.
3. Turn Signal switch has a short circuit.
4. Ground circuit. This is common if the side marker lamp is burnt out. The turn signal seeks a ground path through any circuit it can.

Probably not much help.

Need to know if both sides flash or stay illuminated the whole time? Does it happen with the front also, or only rear? Does it happen when the headlamps/tailamps are on? off? or both?
Good Luck,
Tom

thanks for the input boatwrench.

I do have a problem with the L front side marker siginal, I have not had time to trace thouroghly yeat but it is not the bulb and the connector is undamaged.
I have not noticed the front flashing but can not say positively as I am behind it when it happens.
Both sides flash at full intensity when it happens, until the vehicle starts to turn then it go's back to only the left flashing. It is an intermitant problem, and I don't think it is a bad ground because of the light intensity, or the intermitant occurance.
I will try to get the side marker light sorted out to check, but I'me afraid it's the turn siginal switch, which has to be a major pain to replace.

Not sure, does the 97 have an airbag? If not the turn signal switch really isn't that hard. The hard part is fishing the wire harness through the column. I attach a length of med-fine piano wire (much stronger than mechanics or baling wire) to the old harness as before pulling it up through the column and then attach that wire to the new switch to pull the harness down through the column. Did it on my 89 and on countless Buicks when I worked for GM. The hardest part will be removing the steering lock plate if you don't have a depressor.
Good luck,
Tom

And before you pull it all apart plug the new switch into the body wire harness and check to make sure it is the problem.

My 99 did it too. Replaced the turn signal switch (still under warranty from Carmax) and no more problems. Would only flash hazards in the rear....still registered left only up front and on the dash. Seems to be a common problem on the 97+ XJ's.

This problem is a pain in the ass. Gonna dig in this weekend, any hints for an airbag wheel? I'd rather not get punched by an inflating bag......

CRASH said:
This problem is a pain in the ass. Gonna dig in this weekend, any hints for an airbag wheel? I'd rather not get punched by an inflating bag......

According to the safety warnings in the FSM (mine is a '98), you need to disconnect the negative battery cable and let the vehicle sit for two minutes to allow some capacitor to discharge before working on the dash and/or steering column. I specifically looked it up before taking the dash apart a few weeks ago. That airbag scares me...

Back