• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Radius Arm's

xjcat

NAXJA Forum User
I'm making a set of Radius arm's for my xj and would like to see some photo's of your setup for a idea how to build mine,
do's and don't would be good to

Thank you

Fred H

go wristed or dont flex

XJ_ranger said:
go wristed or dont flex
really?

Matt will be disappointed to hear that
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

(nice pics Jes!)

XJ_ranger said:
go wristed or dont flex
I must have skipped school that day "teach",tell us what youve learned about "your" LA set-up!
Long arm pics

hey guys, he didn't say 'long arms' he said 'radius arms', like the stock ford F 150's had.

I've got them, they flex like sh!t with poly bushings, wristed arms are the way to go, but why not just go long arm if you're gonna put that kind of money into wristed radius arms? I have no pics, only in my head, don't know how to use a camera.

dan

Matt (FarmerMatt) IS using modified Ford radius arms, and as you can see from the pics above they flex fine. the poly bushings may be part of the reason yours doesn not, try using the rubber ones, if you're using to poly to correct castor; cut and turn the knuckles to accomplish that. also, Matt runs extended arms, which helps with flex.

RCP Phx said:
I must have skipped school that day "teach",tell us what youve learned about "your" LA set-up!
Long arm pics

wow - looks great - i admire the work on the crossmember as well as teh radius arms.

xjnation said:
heres mine adjustable upper link and fixxed lower
picture.JPG
you didnt happen to have any specs laying around for thoes alxe brackets did you?

ForeWheeler had what i was talking about. with STOCK f-150 radius arms the flex is limited by the axle trying to twist...

I stand corrected and bury my head in shame...

XJ_ranger said:
wow - looks great - i admire the work on the crossmember as well as teh radius arms.

you didnt happen to have any specs laying around for thoes alxe brackets did you?

ForeWheeler had what i was talking about. with STOCK f-150 radius arms the flex is limited by the axle trying to twist...

I stand corrected and bury my head in shame...

well the are all made from different 1/4" trailer spring hangers. They all are cut from stock pieces found at a trailer shop. They work great. all I needed to do was cut the radius and viola a nice easy bracket

Fore Wheeler said:
hey guys, he didn't say 'long arms' he said 'radius arms', like the stock ford F 150's had.

I've got them, they flex like sh!t with poly bushings, wristed arms are the way to go, but why not just go long arm if you're gonna put that kind of money into wristed radius arms? I have no pics, only in my head, don't know how to use a camera.

dan

UMmm it is a radius arm, Hint the upper arm is connected to the lower arm. that my son functions as a radius arm.

XJ_ranger said:

who cares about STOCK? besides, he said he's making his own, so obviously extending them would be well within the realm of what he's looking at. you statement "go wristed or dont flex" is saying that the only way to get flex is by having one arm wristed. this simply is not true as Matt has shown. besides, i'd rather lose a little flex than have the uneven anti-squat/dive characteristics of a wristed radius arm setup.

BrettM said:
who cares about STOCK? besides, he said he's making his own, so obviously extending them would be well within the realm of what he's looking at. you statement "go wristed or dont flex" is saying that the only way to get flex is by having one arm wristed. this simply is not true as Matt has shown. besides, i'd rather lose a little flex than have the uneven anti-squat/dive characteristics of a wristed radius arm setup.

OMG, two agreements in the same month!

Either Brett is getting smarter, or I'm getting dumber........

CRASH

P.S. I think it may be the former, but the latter is a distinct possibility.

I'm not wristed an I unseat coils. My articulation is really ballanced with my new bastard leafs.

Max compression.
1imn9h

No where near maxed out but you get the idea.
1zg7pc

I'm glad you got a new camera, that first pic looks like it was taken in 1872 with a Kodamatic box and a white phosphorous flash.......

CRASH

P.S. I made up those last two items

ok, ok - i got it...

CRASH said:
I'm glad you got a new camera, that first pic looks like it was taken in 1872 with a Kodamatic box and a white phosphorous flash.......

CRASH

P.S. I made up those last two items

That first pick is scanned from the tri-power. Its the PNW's monthy news paper. The second ones from my 5 mega pixel kodac.:)

Mine are I-beams, bent to clear the frame and mount up inside the frame rail. Standard bushings in front and behind the axle, and a big RE bearing at the frame. Few pics:

radius1.jpg

radius2.jpg

radius3.jpg

radius4.jpg

radius5.jpg

Flex is really pretty good, but nothing stellar. Much better than the previous IFS.
crack.jpg

I did make allowances to pull the rear bolt out of the driver's side mount at the axle. This amounts to hinging or wristing the arm and does add a bit more flex, but I haven't tried it on the trail yet. Haven't really needed to, and I want to beef up the axle mounts a bit before I try it.

--Dan

Back