• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me build an XJ

justintime8425

NAXJA Forum User
The car is on ebay, and i hope to have a jeep in the driveway in a week or so. I want to build the ultimate daily driver... I was thinking of going with the 6.5" rusty's kit, and trying to squeeze some 35's under it. Let me know what you think about this, and if you have any suggestions. Is this giong to be a money pit, or will i actually be able to ride this high and maintain a decent daily driver?

Any help would be great. Thanks!!

-Justin

35's will fit fine, you might have to trip a little, but not much. My Rusty's springs net me 7+"'s. so be prepared for a little more lift than the 6.5 advertised. Mine is a DD. I would strongly suggest regearing if your gonna run 35's on a DD. I run 4.88's with Detroits frt/and rear with a Dana 30 frt and D44 Rear

are you looking at short arm or the long arm kit. If you chose the short arm you will need to run drop brackets to get a better ride. and youll need a SYE and CV driveshaft.

Last edited:
Might have just been my Jeep, but I had the Rustys 6.5 kit and it rode like crap. Also your going to have to get an SYE and drive shaft for the rear, and to fit 35s your gonna have to cut your fender a little bit.

BrettM said:
the ultimate daily driver does not involve 35" tires.

My thought exactly.

Perhaps you are looking to create the ultimate dual-purpose rig? 32's @ 5" w/ 4.10-4.56 gears works well IMHO for that purpose.

Im trying to make mine the Ultimate DD, here are the plans for mine

Upgrade the front axles to 297 u joints, 4.56, Lockrite, WJ brakes, 29 spline conversion in the rear, 4.56, No Slip, DIsc brakes

4" lift, 285/75/R16" TrXus m/t's, TJ flares, and get some bumpers/armor. Lifted, Locked, Geared, and ready to go.

justintime8425 said:
will i actually be able to ride this high and maintain a decent daily driver?

Any help would be great. Thanks!!

-Justin

No!
3 inches of lift and 32's maybe.
at 6+ even with a long arm, bump steer is gonna wear you down.
Above 32's and the gas mileage will have ya converting it into a full time rock crawler.
If all ya want is a pretty XJ that covers the mall parking lot circuit, put in a budget boost, toss on some 30" tires and some chrome and you are there.

The ultimate daily driver would be a fuel efficient, safe passenger vehicle in which you'd take your children to chuck-E-Cheese's. Not a lifted Jeep.

Don't mean to be crass, but a modified Jeep (Of any sort) just will not handle, nor should be driven like an off the lot vehicle.

I read over as many articles, forums, opinions and facts as I could find, and here's where I plan to go with my 2001. Maybe it will give you ideas.

Lift:

RE 4.5 (some say a bit high for a DD)

Drivetrain

4.56 gears (some say a bit tall for a DD)
Tom Woods SYE and CV shaft
Rear Locker
Rear Disk Brake Conversion

Tires

32" tires on 15 X 8 Wheels

Shocks

Old Man Emu
and Old Man Emu Steering Stablizer

Skids

Rock Rails, Front, T-Case, Gas Tank

Recovery

Front tow hooks
Rear Class III hitch

Later down the road as budget allows

Aftermarket Front Bumper with Winch
Aftermarket Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

I've got most of the lift and tires and SYE ready to order, but the Jeep won't see even a dirt road until the skids, rails and recovery stuff is also done.

If you want, PM me and I can send you pictures in a month while it's a work in progess.

As far as the taller gears, I've read all the arguements back and forth. I drive a short commute at mostly low speed every day (12 miles round trip). I may take one long (2000 mile) round trip every other year. And the popular weekend camping + wheeling spots are within 150 mile round trip. I'd rather have the XJ running 4.56 at 32" and be punchy but 2.8K (or so) RPM at 70 than anemic and 2.1 RPM K at 70.

If you lifted that high on a DD and ran that big a tire, you'd get into a much larger budget than I have, and maybe you're ready to build up axels and stuff now.

Plus, much of what I've read says you should try to lift and trim and bumpstop the vehicle to run as much tire as you can while keeping the vehicle lift as low as you can.

But, hey.... Opinions here are like XJs -- everybody has one and thinks theirs are the best :p

Thanks for all the good feedback. I orginally was looking at the 4.5" kits, but i know that i will want to go bigger one day, and i have to the money to do it now. Thats my dilema, should i go ahead and build an awesome rig, or just go ahead and get something that i will really enjoy, but might want to upgrade later. I am currently in school, so my daily drive is maybe 5 miles a day. I plan on using the jeep mainly for hitting some of the back country in search for the perfect camping spots... but at the same time i would love to head up to tellico and tackle those trails...

Well thanks for the info... i will keep you guys posted as soon as i get started on "the ultimate DD"

-Justin

I'm another advocate for less lift, more cutting and fitting. And if you want a capable vehicle able to do some good trails...lockers, armor, tow points, winch skills and driving experience will take you a hell of a lot further than a big lift and big tires.

I know pretty much nothing. I have no real advice for you. Here is what I have to date.... always changing.

97 with 242, 30f and 8.25r. getting a 44 sunday, will put an e-locker in it.
I have stock gears, they suck bad. going to go lower, but drive it everday, so not sure yet on what gear.

I have Rubicon Express 3.5 super flex, full packs, Hack n tap, etc. Old man Emu shocks. It still rides like a jeep, but better than it did bone stock.

roof rack, 400 watts of light on top, spare tire on roof, co2 tank in back, cargo box in back.

front and rear hitches.

Here are some lame poser pics at the dunes (only been there once so far)
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXIA

Here is the cargo box http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXRg

here is an air induction http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXEw

here is some at Badlands http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXMQ

I have 15x8 rims with 3.75 BS with 32" GY MTR's. They will rub unless you trim when disconnected.

I love the combo. So far I would not change a thing. Rides OK, 12 MPG, flexes great, gets me far enough in the back woods I get stuck bad enough to need pulled out.

I have tube rock rails painted and waiting to go on.

I want everything else there is to have, but will likely get fairly soon:
skidz, lockers (selectable).

Maybe a winch and ARB.

See ya on the trail, myabe you can pull me out.
Jason

P.S. If I was forced to give you one piece of advice, it would be to get some seat time in.

Back