• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping engines - what to replace?

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
I'm putting in a 52K mile 4.0 in for my 130K mile 4.0 that had compression problems in one cylinder, likely stuck or broken rings. I got a good deal on the low mileage engine so I figured I'ld swap 'em and build a stroker when money and time permits. Both are from '97, mine has an auto tranny.

My questions, what all should I swap from one to the other or replace? The newer motor was stored outside for a few months (coverd) and two of the valves have rust on the shafts that I can see through the port. I haven't pulled the head off yet to see how the rest looks, but I'll probably swap on my head. Here's the list of things I'll probably be swapping:

- swap heads - Valve job on my 130K heads? keep 130K rods (look good), 52K rods, new rods, doesn't matter? If I'm going to take apart the old one and clean it up, should I just do that to the newer one instead?

-keep 52k mile water pump
-keep 52K oil pump
-old flywheel
-buy new starter? Old one looks ok.
-new distributor or swap on 130K mile one?
-new radiator (CSF)
-new motor mounts
-new hoses
-new belt
-new sensors

Anything I should do to the engine since it's been sitting for awhile, before I crank it over?

Anything I'm missing?

My last question is what all can I mount on the newer engine before it goes back in? Fan, manifolds, etc. Anything I should do to the tranny while the engine is out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
basalt51 said:
- swap heads - Valve job on my 130K heads? keep 130K rods (look good), 52K rods, new rods, doesn't matter? If I'm going to take apart the old one and clean it up, should I just do that to the newer one instead?

From what I've read, you need to keep the same lifter, push rod and rockers in the same order. Mixing these parts from both engines could be a problem. My manuals recommend that all these parts be labeled and go back in the same exact place.

Keep the younger, cleaner starter - everything else looks sensible for now.

Thanks, I only have the 130K starter, so maybe I'll price a new one and keep the old for a spare.

I think I'm adding Rear main seal to my list as well :)

Back