• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idea- roof rail?

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know I've seen someone (farmermatt?) with one that comes off of the roof rack. Basically a tube extending the length of the roof of the jeep, sticking out beyond the windows and the (side/top) corner. I was wheeling this weekend on one of my first trips, and I noticed that while off camber next to trees, I was getting a little too close for comfort, being that it is my daily driver and all. I would like to keep trees and rocks at a distance. Can anyone think of a good way to attatch something like this, or maybe know of some pictures of someone who has already tried this? I would'n't think it would cost much, and would save me some trouble later.
Codeman

well - farmer matt sells a roofrack with exactly that
http://www.farmboydesigns.com/racks/index.htm

FBD_Rack_005.jpg

yeah, I know I can get one with a roof rack, but what if I dont' want a roof rack? Can anyone think of a solid way to attach them to the factory rack rails, or the gutters, or something?

Codeman said:
yeah, I know I can get one with a roof rack, but what if I dont' want a roof rack? Can anyone think of a solid way to attach them to the factory rack rails, or the gutters, or something?

Well you can attach it solidly to the factory rails but if you take a hit on it it will probably cave your roof in as it not that strong. The way the farmer matt rack mounts, it spreads the load against both sides and it reinforces the whole thing against itself (when you look at the pics or his rack you'll see what I mean)

If you "dont" want a roof rack then just take advantage of the factory inserts and make one!

i've thought about running small diameter tube the length of the gutters to do just that. It would be easy to run a few beads along the top and just touch up the welds with paint from the top where it isn't visible. Of course i've already screwed up my gutters (along with the rest of my sheet metal so i don't mind welding straight to the body. I was going to do it just to save some glass

Back