• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identifying lift kit/shocks want better ride

xj_convert

NAXJA Forum User
Hello folks-

been reading the archives, and had a few questions about lifts and shocks:

My 91 XJ has a full spring lift kit on it, either 3 or 4.5"
The previous owner can't remember what brand it is.

Can any of you ID the shocks from the numbers stamped in the body of the shock? THis might give a clue as to the lift since it was a kit.

My goal:
to improve the ride quality.
I've read here that the Doetsch shocks are very good riding. Whatever is on my XJ is pretty jarring.
I've felt the difference between a Rancho 5000 and 9000 on my old Full Size Wags and pickups (no comparison!)

I'd like to go with whatever the smooth riding Doetsch shocks are *if* they could make a difference. Until I figure out which lift I have, I don't know if the springs will even allow a nice ride.

My 67 big block J2000 feels like a Caddy with the 9000s compared to my XJ, and that just shouldn't be!

Any comments?

Thanks
xj_convert

I wanted a smooth ride for my daily-driver 97XJ.

I put on a 3" Old Man Emu lift with springs and shocks.

Everyone that has ever been in my Jeep says that it rides great. I am completely happy with it.

I beleive that tha OME shocks get the credit. I took the advise on this board and purchased them. They are #35C for front and #36C for rear. The "C" stands for comfort. They also have regular #35 and #36. If you go with more than a 3" lift you will need the 35 and 36 "L" which stands for long. They might not be quite as comfortable as mine, but I've only heard good things about them.

Hope this helps-

Jeff-97XJ

Thanks, I'll only know if that's going to be better for me once I identify what's on the truck now...

...but at least I have one vote for the OME shocks...

xj_convert

Back