• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumpstops

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
I have 33"s and rear trimming and long shocks

i am going to be moving my shock mounts up soon about 1"-2". and 35's a little later I currently have no bumpstop extensions.

any idea on how much bumpstop to run out back?
I'm thinking 4-5" mabey

cheapest way to accomplish this?

to help give you an idea. i am running 4" of lift trimmed up in the back and 33's and i used about 2-2.5" using square tubing and it is perfect. it contacts barely at times but no harm since it is smooth in there

specs http://www.mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=647
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=647
xjsideswampy.jpg

I still need to trim the rear...Im waiting for the tax check to see what flares I can afford before I cut. I did try to take off the old bumpstops...which crumbed apart while doing my lift. First bolt I tried, snapped it right off. PB blasted it for about 4 or 5 days too. Anyone else break these off? or are mine just gonna be a pain. Ive broken so many bolts, and fixed so many broken bolts, that I really dont feel like messing with these. I havent looked into aftermarket bumpstops, or into making my own, which is probably what ill do...is there a different location for bolting them on? Not trying to hijack the thread...just thought I might not be the only one breaking those bolts...

Justin

Greg,
Thats what I was thinking about doing sorta. That is steel correct? Does it just flex up until it contacts the frame rail? No rubber needed kind of thing? My plan was to make a plate for the hold down like that, then have a poly bump stop up top... Or is that pic an in progress pic? Thanks

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
Greg,
Thats what I was thinking about doing sorta. That is steel correct? Does it just flex up until it contacts the frame rail? No rubber needed kind of thing? My plan was to make a plate for the hold down like that, then have a poly bump stop up top... Or is that pic an in progress pic? Thanks

Justin
Those are DPG Rear Bumpstop Plates .
They use the factory rubber stop on the frame rail (or any aftermarket bumpstop since they are adjustable).

DPGbumpstop1.jpg

DPGBP3instLo-res.jpg

Oh man...I feel kinda dumb. It was late last night and I didnt even realize what those were. I was looking at those... I have access to a shop that will water jet and or laser cut stuff for me, so maybe I can make them...? Oh well...Thanks for the pics!

Justin

I'm running 4 inches, 33's, and have trimmed the rear. I've been happy with some 2x4 inch box tubing with the factory bumpstops bolted on to them. If you go this route, make sure you clearance the box tubing for the shocks. It makes some nasty dents in the shock bodies if you don't leave enough room.

LouisianaZJ said:
btw, i realize the best way to do this is to flex it out, but i need a general ida of what size to start then i can fine tune it

For 33's and how much trimming you have you'll want about 3" of extension for the rear. I have 2" extension and more trimming that lets the tire just up to the fender. Just remember if you're using shackles for your lift you can over flex those rear springs with factory bumpstops.

Louisiana, I'm running practicly the same setup - right down to the color!

33's, RE3.5 leaf + 1.25" shackle = approx 5". I've DPG plates with three plates on and the stock upper bumpstop - I'll measure it in a bit, but should be a little over 3" as mentioned above.

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

You said you were running longer shocks and are going to raise the shock mounts as well right.
Well you will have more than just clearance for the tyres to worry about. First you will have to compare the compressed lengths between the stock and your new longer shocks and drop the stops that much. Then you will have to add to that the amount you have raised the shock mount as well. This is the minimum change you must have before looking into tyre clearance.
The easiest thing to do is just fit a steel tube in-between the bumpstop and the frame like I show on my site. If you didn't have the Sport with the up country suspension you can fit the longer bumpstops from one of those instead too. The MJ's have longer ones again. I show the different lengths on my site and also the part numbers for them.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

Back