• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapabilty issues of putting a 95 zj i-6 into a 90 xj

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i may be able to get a used grand engine for cheap with 86K on it from a 95. what issues will i run into when swapping. ive read this write up: click here

will i have that many problems? plans possibly include stroking it. the motor in my xj now is on 173K and leaks oil badly. the oil has water in it, etc...

thanks in advance
-chris

The basic issues you face are that (a) you have a Renix injection/computer sustem, and the '95 has a Mopar system; and (b) the ports on the head are at a different height and are shaped differently.

Both issues can be addressed, but there is no escaping the issues. The Renix system uses a different type of CPS, so you will have to use your existing flex plate -- the '95 unit won't trigger your Renix CPS.

The basic engine is the same, the problems are all in the peripherals.

my xj is a 5 speed, and this one is a auto. i plan to stroke it if easily possible. can i just swap the crank? or is machining required? thank in advance.

-chris

The cranks are essentially the same. To stroke it, you will need a crank from an older AMC or Jeep 258 c.i.d. (4.2L) engine. Depending on what year that crank comes from, the front end (snout) of the crank might have to be shortened.

Back