• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start again, weird

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched and found one similair problem but now i can't find it. this has happemed to me twice now. I go start the jeep and it makes the little buzzer(that tells you the key is on) then as soon as i go to turn the key nothing. no lights no start no radio but this time the heat blower seemed to work. if i try to crank it over the buzzer gets real weak and goes up and down in sound level. the irony of this situation maeks me laugh too because it's sitting just outside the shop door, i was just getting ready to pull it in so i could work on the nss, because i have to pass inspection in like two days. Any help, ideas, thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit: just tried it again and got some odd results, when the key is in the on position the buzzer comes on but souds wierd and so does the led lights in my piaa switch and my cell charger but if i move the heater control to an setting other than off, those lights og out and so does the buzzer. BTW it's a 95 4.0 auto.

Mike

you either have a loose ground wire or the bad connection to the battery, maybe corrosion between teh batter leads and the terminals.

Try cleaning them first and see what happens

If still doing it follow the ground battery lead and see if its loose, then the positive lead. etc.

also teh batery might have a dead cell or 2 in it

showmethemuddd said:
i had same problem on 91 xj ,changed the ignition switch and still nothing.had to jump starter relay to get it to start finally, but still looking for a fix.?.

sounds like a mudder have you checked the starter for mud in it? both your guys problems are wither a bad batery or bad connection.

Mud is not your friend! it is a 4x4's worst enemy

connections weren't too terrible but i took them off cleaned them and put them back on. went to start, this time buzzer sounded normal, tried to crank and nothing at all. i will check the battery with meter and see if that's it.

Mike

got the connections all set, good and tight. checked the battery, 13 volts all is good. went to start and all seemed good, buzzer sounded normal went ot start and nothing, screwed withthe connections a bit and got i started, weee!!! uh oh runs super crappy barely running stumbling and dies, try to start it and nothing at all no juice anywhere. i've been told it's the starter so i may try that. anyone any help at all?

Mike

Shot in the dark here, but how old is your alternator? Have you tried jumping it at all?

well it wasn't the starter, now i am oily, extremely cold and $100 poorer. This time when i tried to start it i got the buzzer then when i cranked it it clicked and then nothing. When i try to crank it nothing happens and i have no power at all, any other ideas?

Mike

mylilchero said:
well it wasn't the starter, now i am oily, extremely cold and $100 poorer. This time when i tried to start it i got the buzzer then when i cranked it it clicked and then nothing. When i try to crank it nothing happens and i have no power at all, any other ideas?

Mike

Ok mike you do realize that all autoparts stores will check your old starter for free right? did you take the battery in and have it checked for a dead cell? it may read 13 volts and still be bad. voltage and amperage are 2 different beasts.

Did youcheck the back of teh head ground to body cable?

will the engine turn over by hand? or if you try to jump start it?

i didn't mean to sound angry i really wasn't. i had to leave it at my uncles shop for the night becuase it was getting late and i had to do homework, (haha i ended up here on naxja anyway!!) in the morning i am going to try to jump it before my dad takes me to school. the more i think about it the more i am convinced it's the battery. the ground your speaking of is the fiber looking stap one right, it looked fine after a quick glance. how would i go about cranking the engine over by hand? I have two spare batteries so i will get them checked and possibly the old starter tomorrow night. I know it sounds remote but when i got the new remanufactured starter it had a mark on it like some one had recently arc'd out on it so this made me suspicious but i am sure it's nothing. Thanks for all your help xj nation, it is much appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:
mylilchero said:
any one else know how to crank an engine over by hand, just curious!

Thanks a bunch

Mike

P.S. xjnation cool site, i dig the mj tech, i'd love to find one!

you can turn over the engine by the crankshaft bolt on front of the engine. clockwise with a nice big deep socket and breaker bar

You need to learn how to jump the starter relay to directly engage the starter solenoid and bypass ignition switch/NSS, etc. It's a small green wire on my '89 that I touch to the large B+ terminal on the starter relay. Dunno dick about a '95 though.

OMT - have you qualified the NSS? All that mudding and cold weather will foul one up in no time.

Back