• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Oil Seals

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing my lock-rite in the D30 front axle. When I pulled the carrier, the seals looks like they could use a replacement. (Under the carrier) The current ones look just like large O-Rings, the replacements that I ordered from Quadratech look a little different. They have metal flanges. Are the replacement seals just updated or improved in their design?

The front inner axle seals are metal, your probibly looking at the sealer around where the tube is pressed into the pumpkin. The easiest way to tell if the old seals were leaking is look at the inner axle just past where the seal rides and look for signs of oil seapage. I hope this helps. The seals are pretty straight forward to replace if you have the proper tools.

Some of the seals are just a simple metal body w/ a rubber lip seal around the shaft. Others have a seperate metal piece that guides the shaft into the center of the seal to prevent damage. Either will work fine. Otherwise, as RC said, you may be looking at the RTV that is used to seal the tubes at the hsg.

Brian

OK... I pulled out what look like two large O-Rings to the outside of the bearing caps. This is sealant?? It makes sense its in the area of where the legs are pressed in. What to do?? Just clean it up and leave them out?? The driver side seal (metal & rubber lip) was visible and I knocked it out easy. My big concern is those O-rings, or sealant. They were starting to harden and fall apart.

Not a big deal. That ring is excess sealant. If there are pieces that look loose, I usually just try to peal the whole thing out, as I have often found pieces of it in the little areas that accumulate oil during operation.

So the only real seal inside the housing is on the driverside? Then the other is down inside the passenger side tube?

Well the are done! The disco side was a royal PITA too. But with some help from my son, its all done, locker installed. Just waiting on the cover gasket, and fluid fill. Should be driving my 0930!

Back