• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

14 bolt & 10 Bolt conversion.... Need advice.

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of axles.. They are off of a 1987 3/4 ton Chevy. The front is a GM 14 bolt and the rear a GM 10 bolt. I have a 88 XJ. Would this be a good installation? I know the 10 bolt is 69" wide. If I leave it at that length would it be a problem. I would appreciate any info on this or are these axles a good choice. I can pick up the pair for $150. Thanks guys...

Are you sure it is not a 10 bolt front 14 bolt rear? Im fairly certain they did not make a 14 bolt front.

With that said, for that size tires, Dana 44s or similar should be fine. The 14 bolt is just to big for a 35'' tire. It also weighs a lot.

I forgot to add that those are full width axles. They will stick out past your fenders, so if you have laws that target fender flares and such, you will have to watch out for that.

Also, you will need to make all new mounts, spring pearch, control arm, and shock mounts to put those in.

what they said.... but here is some more information anyway. GM had two 14 bolt rear end a semi floating(SF) and a Full Floating (FF) other then 14 bolts they have nothing in common. The SF being just a little weaker then a Dana 60 and the ff being one beefy axle good up to about 44" tires and probably more then you need, in standard form hangs down pretty low limiting ground clearance. The FF can be shaved so it give about the same ground clearence as a 44 though giving you the best of both. but it is still very heavy. The 10 bolt seems to be about tied with a 44 for strength.

im going to be running a 14 rear and a 44 front. your only problem is chevys are passenger drop so you will need to get a 205/208 t case or sell the 10 and find a ford 44 like i did. coils are the same diameter and then mount the radius arms to your "frame". good luck!!

Back