• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG or GOODYEAR????

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been a long fan of BFG butI have been told that they wear down very fast compared to the old ones. My last set got me 80,000 miles, they were bald at the end but still good. Everyone seems t like the Goodyears but I just want to make sure before buying them. Are the goodyears as good as they say or are they about equal for tire wear and grip? PLease help,

Simon

SORRY I did mean M/T's and MT/R's

Last edited:
i havent had personal experience with either, but lots of people say the mt/r's (im assuming thats what you're talkin about here) are a soft compound and wear quickly... or atleast quicker than the BFG's

I have had both. I like the mtr's for the rocks they are great, the bfg mt are very good also and wear longer. never had a blow out on bfg mt ( 3 sets) and they did see hard off roading. Had 1 blow out on mt/r's and 1 lost bead, other then that I like the mt/r's.

I was always scared when I ran BFG AT's and it was raining. On more than a few occasions I hit the brakes and locked up the tires on pavement. They worked great in snow and on the trail they weren't too bad in most situations. I'm running 32" MTR's now, and I couldn't be happier. It seems like the tread wear is about the same as the BFG's, they are still quiet on the road after 20,000 miles, and the traction is great on pretty much all surfaces.

For the two you listed i vote for the MT/R's i loved the ones that came on my Rubbie so much I went out and bought the same thing when I lifted her, but I decided to try the Pro Comp X's on my XJ and I love them even more but it all depends on what your driving is I go from rock (lava) to sand alot so I love the Pro Comps, but I have not had a real good chance to hit the mud in them yet but the MT/R's are great in the mud, but all up too you

Well I have both now, and I can say that the MTRs have a softer compound so they will wear quicker, but the thread is so deep that it will probably balance off to about the same.

XJguy

I just bought 35" Mt/r's 3 weeks ago and love them. Yes they may be softer but they use a different thread compound than most tires. I know of guys who run then on Super Duty Ford trucks in the oil patch with 90,000kms use.

i have always been a goodyear owner..... never driven on bfg's.... my only opinion is that of all the badly/ unevenly worn tires i seen over the years they always seem to be bfg's... (could be me and my bias though) i guess every misaligned or under inflated 4x4 runs 'em... says more about the owner but that just my observation....
mc

Well I've ran both in 32" first the BFGs MT & now the MT/Rs. I tend to lean towards the BFGs, got 40k worked great offroad. The negatives, two of them egged out (but were replaced free). The negatives about the MT/Rs I already stuck a stub through the treaded side wall, my 32s were 31.5" new on a 8" wheel & in sand they flat move some cubic yards of soil.... they seemed to come in a close 2nd. behind the BFGs in aired up offroad use, BUT ! they dooooo stick to the rocks. I'll probably go back to BFGs.
Just something to ponder...
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back