• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help me with this

R

rangerjoe2001

ok well to start out i have orderd the RE 4.5 inch lift with full springs for my jeep cherokee classic 2000. Well my friend has an old jeep commanche and wants my stock shocks once i put the lift on. Well he insisted on seeing them in his hands before he would shelll out 30 dollars for all of them. well i have been putting lube on all the bolts for a month(two or threee times a week). When i went to take out the rear drives side shock the bolts that mount the shock to the frame both broke inside the frame. So now i am stuck with no shock on my rear drivers side.

i need to know if anyone knows how i could fix this,, also has anyone else had this happen??

It's a common problem and if you do a search, I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this topic within the last week or 10 days.

The right way to do it is to drill out the broken shanks and retap the holes. There were alternate approaches discussed in the recent thread to which I referred. I do not recall if that thread was on the OEM or Modified forum.

im gonna be fighting with the same problem this weekend on my 87... both sides... think a 5/16 tap will probably do it...
mc

The OEM bolts are probably metric, but a slightly larger SAE tap will get you down to new metal.

hey guys i just drilled it out then taped the hole and it works great,,, the drill bit,tap, and tap wrench were $12 compared to the $100 the shop was going to charge me!!!!! thanks guys

i used a 5/16 bolt and tap
'
and i tell you what it was simple as pie!!!!! it really makes you realise how much they riip you off

Back