• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Is With The Front Axle Seals?

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
My '98XJ is going back into the shop for the third time for the shop to "TRY TO GET IT RIGHT" on replacement of the front axle seal. Is there some trick they are not aware at a GMC-Pontiac-Hummer dealership (no cute comments please ;-) or is it something else maybe?

Any help? (There is a lengthly involved story here which I will not bore you with; but sure getting tired of driving back and forth to Spokane)

I was just 'poking around' and saw something that may indicate the seals are DIFFERENT for the right and left side... OR AM I MISREADING SOMETHING?
thanks

Axle seals are the same on both sides on a 98. Older models w/ disconnect axle used different seals for the pass. side. The axle needs to be carefully slid in to the hsg. to avoid damaging the seals. Check the seal area on the shafts while they're out. The other thing people sometimes do is to pull the shafts without draining the diff. If this is done on a high pinion axle the fluid will run out of the tubes when the shaft is pulled, and can seem to drip for a long time. It's possible they just aren't getting the tubes cleaned out. I made a scraper on a long tube to pull the dirt and oil out of the tubes before replacing the seals and always push a rag through the hsg. from the inside out to clean the tubes out. I installed the seal dry and lube the seal w/ some grease and carefully slide the shaft back in. Install the shafts before filling the diff. I've done this hundreds of times and not had one leak.

Thanks Explorer, so I can rule out the wrong seal!

Although the whole story is very long, maybe this should be stated to make things clear. A month ago I traded my wifes '93 Cherokee with 127K on it for a nice '98 Cherokee with 63K on it for her. As the '93 in three years had caused NO mechanical problems, I did not have to learn anything about it. This rig immediately developed a bad leak on the driver-side front axle seal. The dealer acknowledged responsibility and after a couple seal replacements that would not hold, detected that the left axle had been BENT back slightly (from the differential housing). A used replacement axle housing was obtained and both the axle bearings and seals replaced. Since then, it has been back once already for a right seal leak and replacement of the seal.
(Sorry that was so long, but no where near the whole story... just the 'meat' of it!)

[further displaying my naivete']
Reading different posts, it would appear that several DIFFERENT axles were used on XJ's (?!) What was the factory installed front axle on the '98XJ? Inasmuch as they were supposed to only use the replacement housing (replacement front-assembly had double the mileage on it) I ASSUME this one is the same one as WAS on it.

I am leaning toward EXPLORERS theory that maybe they did not thoroughly clean the axle housing (this is the longer side) and it just may be a 'dribble'. I just jacked the left side up to see if the right (leaking side) drains, then will drive it later to see what happens. We shall see!

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

98 should be a Dana 30 high pinion. Meaning the pinion gear enters the hsg. above the centerline of the axle. Earlier (92 and older?) models sometimes use a disconnect hsg. which is evident by the cast upper right control arm bracket that also encloses the disconnect motor(vacuum operated). If they used a disconnect hsg. to replace yours, they probably used the shafts that came with it, as they require some modification to use a one piece shaft like what yours should have. Check what axle you have in there now, and we can go from there.

Yeah I found out I'm going to have to go to DC to get the seals, not that it's a problem. My local parts store seems to think there is only one seal in the axle, morons. It's an 88.

explorer said:
98 should be a Dana 30 high pinion. Meaning the pinion gear enters the hsg. above the centerline of the axle. Earlier (92 and older?) models sometimes use a disconnect hsg. which is evident by the cast upper right control arm bracket that also encloses the disconnect motor(vacuum operated). If they used a disconnect hsg. to replace yours, they probably used the shafts that came with it, as they require some modification to use a one piece shaft like what yours should have. Check what axle you have in there now, and we can go from there.

It is as you described the high pinion. The upper control arm is stamped like the other three. It all looks just like the one that was on it as closely as I can recall. There is a large wrecking yard in Spokane (Spaldings) which I am sure had a part that would direct-switch, because I know the dealership did not want to dink with any modifications. I do recall that the housing cover plate on the replacement had a rubber plug in the filler instead of the screw in like was on the original (original cover switched over). If that indicates anything?!

You need to look on the pass side axle tube.The axles with the disconect will have a housing that the shifting mechanism(sp) was in,and a shift motor(vacumn) on top.This area would have to be covered if a one piece axle shaft were used.
As used housings are plentifull it is doughtful that they got one from an older XJ.The most likley problems are--Dumb Tech not at all familar with Jeeps,didn,t clean axle tube or just rammed the axle in and tore the seal.
The carrier must be removed to do the job correctly and right now this problem is eating their profit.
Also check the axle shaft for a groove worn where the seal rides,a new seal is not small enough to fill this and keep oil in.
Wayne

Axle tube is solid, nothing hanging on top of it, or no covers on it. Looks same as one that came off'n it.

I had the left side jacked-up all day (right side down) to allow for any residual oil in the tube to drain. Drove it about 30 miles last night and left it jacked-up all night. Tiny bit of oil noted this morning in the dish by the lower ball joint. Appears that it was due to NOT having the axle tube cleaned out when the seal was installed at this point. Going to take my electric heat gun and heat the right side tube a little this morning to help any remianing oil exit the tube.

If it turns out otherwise I will continue my "WHINING" and stupid questions!

Thanks, all

Back