• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar length, does it matter?

flexj

NAXJA Forum User
I did a quick search, didn't come up with anything...so, does a longer track bar mean more flex? If the hinge point on the axle is more toward the knuckle, does that help, hurt or not make a difference?

Thanks.

Your flex will be limited by the type of attachment you use.

A stock tre will not flex as much as a heim or JJ in the same mounting position, and those will flex more when mounted different than stock.

Fergie

Length matters for a lot of reasons.

in terms of flex, yes: the longer the better, but the gain relative length is a non-linear relationship, and once it's as long as the axle, it wouldn't help much.

the longer the bar, the less amount of movement applied to the end joints as the axle moves compaired to a shorter bar. Also less movement of the axle side to side as it travels.

But like fergie said a rod end or bushing end where the through bolt is horizontal (like the axle end on the stock t-bar) would allow all the travel you would need.

you would need to match your angle and pivot points of the steering drag link and track bar as closely as possible to minimize bumpsteer if you were to change the mounting.

Ok good. Bumpsteer is not really an issue since this is trail only, however I did keep that in mind when I set it up the first time. I put a hp44 in and was looking at it today trying to figure out a place for the ram, and got to thinking that I could move the track bar end out further on the axle than I had it before. It would be some work, obviously, and I figured I'd ask the pro's for their opinions before torching my bracket off tonight.

So the general concensious is that it would be benificial to move it out another 6-7 inches?

Thanks.

OK, good news is that I moved the trackbar out to the end of the knuckle. That went well. Bad news is, I still don't have room for my ram where I wanted to put it. I think I'll get a highsteer arm for the left side and mount it from the top of the diff to the left knuckle.

Back