• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Massaging XJ fuel economy (long)

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Before I launch into this, I'd like to point out that all observations made here are purely that - observations, with no real applied scientific method behind them. However, there may be some merit to them; YMMV (no pun intended). Onwards...

Some background: I never really got much better than 14mpg on average in my '01 Sport (I6, NP232, AW4) in mixed town and freeway driving. A couple of days ago, it was replaced with a 2000 Limited (I6, NP242, AW4, Up-Country and Towing packages). My goal over the past couple of days has been to see if I can improve on that 14mpg figure without resorting to major changes such as different exhausts or remapped computers.

The Limited should weigh more than the Sport given the extra equipment it carries: tranny cooler and rear tow receiver, skidplates, centre diff, tow hooks, a buttload of power toys, fog lights, cruise control, and a roof console. Both vehicles are on 225/70R16 tires with 3.55 final drive ratios. Since the body styles are pretty much interchangeable, we'll assume aerodynamics remain the same. The Limited can run its transmission at lower temperatures than the Sport did leading to slightly improved efficiency, but the Sport had a freer-flowing air filter (Fram Airhog) than the Limited's stock item. In any event, the second assumption in all of this is that the gains relative to each item cancel out the other when comparing both vehicles. If anything, the odds should be stacked in the Sport's favour due to its lower weight.

The two items I used in all of this to try to gain an improvement on the Limited were the cruise control and instant fuel economy readout on the roof console (yup, they're renowned for absolute accuracy). The Sport didn't have either of these items, so I'm relying on my driving habits and gas receipts with noted mileages at each fillup to get that 14mpg figure. The theory is that with judicious use of both the cruise control and economy meter, the 14mpg figure can be bettered.

Filled the Limited on Tuesday with 18.5 gallons of 87-octane Chevron gas from the same station I'd fill the Sport at. The DTE (distance-to-empty) indicator gave an initial range of 283 miles. With a 20-gallon tank, this compares favourably with the 14mpg average figure returned by the Sport.

After two days of mixed freeway and street driving, I'm just under the half-tank mark and am showing 153 miles to empty on the DTE after 183 miles of travel - adding the two together, this totals a tank range of 336 miles, or 53 miles (19%) over the DTE estimate. Average fuel economy is (IIRC) 16.2mpg, an improvement of 2.2mpg overall - or approximately 16% better, which bears out the DTE readings somewhat. With greater weight on the Limited, why is this when overall driving conditions were much the same?

What I figure is this: use of the cruise control is eliminating over-throttling. By this, I'm referring to what happens when you put your foot on the accelerator to maintain a constant speed but are actually introducing more fuel into the combustion chamber than is necessary to maintain speed. To simplify, the cruise control is better at metering fuel than your foot is - so the extra fuel you're stomping into the cylinders is being burnt without producing significantly more power.

Now, here's a caveat to all of this. The cruise control doesn't operate below 35mph - so improving town economy was done solely through my boot and observation of the instant economy indicator. The worst figures came under initial acceleration (typically 4-7mpg, though 2mpg happened a couple of times under hard take-offs), but levelled off around 30mph at approximately 20-24mpg on a flat. Obviously, the only way to control these numbers is by watching the economy indicator and trying to get them as high as possible.

In freeway driving, instant figures were sampled with the cruise on at 65, 70, and 75mph on fairly flat roads in five separate cases. Each stretch of road was driven at the given speeds. Numbers averaged out to 25mpg, 24mpg, and 23mpg respectively.

Lowest observed fuel consumption figure: 1mpg, stomping hard out of a driveway with the wheel turned right. Highest: 96mpg, at 70mph on a downhill stretch of the 14 (this will mean something to locals :) ). Obviously these are extreme numbers and shouldn't be taken seriously, but there are a couple worth mentioning:

- At 38-45 mph on level surface streets, 36-40mpg was a fairly common ocurrence with cruise on.

- At 70mph on level freeways, 26mpg was regularly seen with around 30mpg being possible - again with cruise on.

What this suggests is that poor XJ fuel economy largely comes down to over-throttling for the given conditions. It's not so much that the engine is fuel-inefficient as the throttle probably isn't sensitive enough in terms of power produced for given pedal travel.

Anyway, apologies for letting this run as long as it has - it just seemed like other people might find this interesting, even if it isn't necessarily telling us anything new. Draw your own conclusions as to its merits or otherwise.

Last edited:
I rarely jump over 70mph in my 91 Limited with 170k and have never filled up below 300 miles to a full tank My best has been 340 miles. I fill up with 18.1-18.4 gallons on 'E', so I figure I'm averaging about 16mpg consistently. My driving is 60/40 highway to city driving. And I have also learned that stomping my foot on the pedal, whether at a red light change or passing someone on the freeway needlessly, greatly affects my mileage. Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm not in my Miata anymore. :)

TroyAndEddie said:
I rarely jump over 70mph in my 91 Limited with 170k and have never filled up below 300 miles to a full tank My best has been 340 miles. I fill up with 18.1-18.4 gallons on 'E', so I figure I'm averaging about 16mpg consistently. My driving is 60/40 highway to city driving. And I have also learned that stomping my foot on the pedal, whether at a red light change or passing someone on the freeway needlessly, greatly affects my mileage. Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm not in my Miata anymore. :)

I'm not sure what kind of mods your running but shouldn't you get a bit better milage then that with that much highway driving and your attention to not giving it too much gas?

How accurate is this instant fuel economy dealy? How does it calculate the MPG?

Really want I mean is is just taking educated guesses based on the throttle possition and speeds and such? Or does it do more? Is it going to take into account that my engine is out of tune?

1999 XJ Sport with the I-6, auto.
Average 310 miles between fillups
Average economy is about 18 MPG (as high as 19/20, low as 17)
Drive is 90% highway, but many stop and go traffic moments
stock tires 225/75/R15

I have a bone stock '01 Sport with Command Trac 4WD. I have had variances of 13-20 MPG, averaging about 17. I change my oil every 3000 miles with Mobil 1, and follow all of the manufacturer maintenance schedules. I believe the problem is related to the crap gas being sold these days and nothing else. I always fill up with 4 gallons left in the tank, I have a driving routine that is identical nearly every month, and when I do take extended trips, I frequently exceed 70mph with an actual gain in mpg.

MTBE, ethanol and other additives to reduce emissions seem to be the real issue. Living in the Chicago metro area, it's about all you can do to try and find a station that consistently sells decent quality gasoline.

Not really, because when I city drive...it's hell. A LOT more stop than go. :)I've topped out at 360, but that was an all highway drive. My best in normal driving has been 340, with my weekly routine it's normally around 320-325 when I head to the gas station. I was saying that 16mpg is the lowest I've gotten.

All stock baby! 2004 Wrangler SE wheels and tires. :D

I'm not sure what inputs the fuel economy computer uses, but this how I'd do it...

Using flow meters on the fuel supply and return lines, I would have the computer compare their values (supply - return = fuel comsumption at any given time.) Using the vehicle speed in miles per hour and dividing that by the instantaneous fuel consumption in gallons per hour, the output is instantaneous fuel economy in miles per gallon. (The computer actually uses values from voltages from the calibrated flow and speed sensors to make the calculations in case anyone is curious as to how automation is accomplished.)

Mine is seeing 9-13 right now with just a BB and 30s. It used to average 15 city and between 18 and 20 with no BB and on 235s. It maintained that for about a month after the BB and all of a sudden its dead

I get about 19-21 MPG summer and 16.5-18.5 MPG winter. 90%+ highway.

I have been looking into making my own fuel economy gauge if I can't find a decent price on the overhead console. From what I have been told the calculation is based on mass airflow (calculated from MAP by PCM), speed, engine load, the fuel tables, long term fuel trim, and short term fuel trim. Should be pretty easy to calculate if I knew the values in the fuel tables. Maybe the PCM calculates all of this stuff internally and offers it up to the console on the CCD bus, or maybe the console gets the raw data from the CCD bus and does the calculations itself, I don't know. If I had some of the hardware to tinker with I may be able to hack it an figure it out.

I was getting around 20-21 mpg with my old 88 Cherokee. It did have a manual trans and a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler with 2.5" tailpipe. Highway was usually about 60-70% of the miles, the rest being in town. However, it DIDN'T have cruise control and I often would drive at 75 mph on the highway.

Why did I sell that thing? I recently calculated my 2000 XJ with auto trans and stock exhaust to be about 15mpg. But because I just bought it, I've been riding it harder than normal and doing more in town driving. It does have a lot more oomph than my 88 which is pretty fun.

No fancy gadgets here. Grew up durring the Arab oil embargo. Here's how we were taught to measure gas milage:

Pick your local station as a starting point and a pump.
Filler up with your favorite flavor.
Drive- noting conditions.
Return to SAME station and SAME pump.
Filler up.
Repeat.

I don't even bother to measure city MPG- means nothing except on a Hybrid or Honda Civic :)

Hwy milage will depend on tire pressure, grade, wind direction and speed (esp when driving a box!), MPH and grade of gas used. Ethenol blend will tend to increase fuel figures because it increases octane rating and available oxygen.

My 98' Classic with auto, 3.55s and 31mts seems to average 20@55 in hilly terrain (900ftMSL) 22@65. Engine ticks over at 2K at 55 and 2.3K@65.

Zuki-Ron said:
No fancy gadgets here. Grew up durring the Arab oil embargo. Here's how we were taught to measure gas milage:

Pick your local station as a starting point and a pump.
Filler up with your favorite flavor.
Drive- noting conditions.
Return to SAME station and SAME pump.
Filler up.
Repeat.

I don't even bother to measure city MPG- means nothing except on a Hybrid or Honda Civic :)

Hwy milage will depend on tire pressure, grade, wind direction and speed (esp when driving a box!), MPH and grade of gas used. Ethenol blend will tend to increase fuel figures because it increases octane rating and available oxygen.

My 98' Classic with auto, 3.55s and 31mts seems to average 20@55 in hilly terrain (900ftMSL) 22@65. Engine ticks over at 2K at 55 and 2.3K@65.

Have you corrected your speedometer for the larger tires?

I had a 90 xj with the 4.0L auto tranny that averaged about 18 city/22.5 hwy
That's pretty impressive with 195,000 miles on it! I now have a thirsty 99 XJ Classic with the HO 4.0L and it gets around 12-14 city and 15-16 hwy. That sucks. My driving is about the same with both rigs. The 90 had 215/75/15's as the 99 has 235/75/15's which are much better all around. The 99 now has 2 inch/3.5 inch front/rear and new Procomp ES3000s on all four corners. I have a TB spacer and a K&N air filter as well, but none of these helped except for some mid-range pep. I have a hunch that the 02 sensors have alot to do with it because they are probably originals for the 99. I've heard it bumps up the mpg a bit when you replace those. I have my fingers crossed, I'm changing them this weekend!

TroyAndEddie said:
I've topped out at 360, but that was an all highway drive. My best in normal driving has been 340, with my weekly routine it's normally around 320-325 when I head to the gas station. I was saying that 16mpg is the lowest I've gotten.

If I see 300 on a tank, I buy a drink while I'm there! BUT... my tank is rarely near empty when I fill it... because I have a 65 mi/day commute, and I make sure I fill 'er up on the way home if it's questionable that I could go another full roundtrip. So I only put in 14-15 gals.

All highway, I can see 325 or better. Normally I fill up between 250 and 275.

It's hilly around here (Pittsburgh) which hurts. And my mileage is considerably worse in the winter time (15-16) than the summer (18-20).

2000 XJ Sport,4.0/auto/231, 235/75R15 Scorpion ATs.

instantaneous MPG is a function of MPH & injector pulse width. doesn't need to get any more complex than that.

with 33x12.50's, lift, all kinds of tubing and skid plates & tools adding extra weight and with correct speedo gear, the only time I got down to 14 MPG was towing a large popup trailer through hilly country. If you're getting 14 MPG on a new XJ, still fairly stock, there must be something wrong. Your driving style, grade of fuel, very hilly terrain or mechanical condition of your Jeep must be off somehow.

Sparkman said:
I get about 19-21 MPG summer and 16.5-18.5 MPG winter. QUOTE]

Me too!

If you're driving a stock newer model 4.0L and getting 14mpg, you're either a mad man or there's something going on with your Jeep. :repair:

I've had three XJs, all 4wd, AT, and well optioned. The worst I ever got was in my 89 with 255K miles and in the winter... 16mpg. On my 99 and 00, I get 19-21 in summer and 18-20 in winter. I take off faster than the guy beside me and do about 75-80 on the highways (about 40% of my driving), so I'm not babying it.

I do run Mobil 1 5W30 or 10W30 and it seemed to give me an extra mpg or so.

I did get 12-14mpg in my 90 FSJ Grand Wagoneer 5.9L and was very happy with that. Took a lot of tuning to get it there... got about 8-10mpg when I first bought it.

ethanol;Re: Massaging XJ fuel economy (long)

I average 12.5 miles/gallon with any fuel in Harris County, TX. The EPA (I guess) has fuel mixtures at 10% ethanol (don't know if this is by volume or mass). I fill up at the same station who buys there fuel form the same supplier. In my case, I think I lost about 1.5 mpg when the new mix was mandated.

I know I could use a tune up, and even removed my front driveshaft for better efficiency.

Keep in mind; many gas stations sporting a big name sell the same gasoline that is sold by other no-name stations. All the additive crap is just that, crap and advertising.
Ask your gas station who supplies their gasoline, and if they have a contract, and keep your receipts in case you get a tank of crap-o-line.

Just my $.02.

Does anybody know if the XJ’s computer (or any thing else for that matter) can be tweaked for a high ethanol fuel mix?

TIA,

On a level highway at 55 mph with cruise on for almost 200 mi. I got 18 mpg on my 1999 which is typical of all my trips with cruise on or off and 70 to 75 mph.

00xjsebb said:
Sparkman said:
I get about 19-21 MPG summer and 16.5-18.5 MPG winter.
If you're driving a stock newer model 4.0L and getting 14mpg, you're either a mad man or there's something going on with your Jeep. :repair:

Agreed. My XJ has 195K stock gears, 5.5 inch lift, 31X10.5 MTR's, Borla Header, High flow cat, 2.5 Flowmaster 40 series, Rustys intake tube w.K&N filter and I get 19/21 regularly. I commute 50 miles a day uphill one way. The only time I get close to 14mpg is in 4 low creeping in the mud or something.

I get about the same mileage summer or winter. Even with the jeep warming up in the winter. I do notice my MPG drop a few if I go over 3500 on an oil change.

96, manual, 30 tires, stock 3.07s, K&N filter

Mixed city/highway driving I get 15-16 mpg. I usually drive aggressively. I have dramastically changed driving styles to see the impact on economy. Same result 15-16 mpg. How I don't know. I have tried shifting at 3k, slow acceleration, fast acceleration, and dog a$$ slow. I used the same gas station, same driving conditions, and the same route over multi fill ups. Always consistent. riddle me that?

Consistent 75-85 mph highway driving, I am able to get 18-19 mpg.

I still wish I had cruise control.

Back