• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 limited slip carrier

XtremeJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 30 factory limited slip with 3.55s. Is there a gear break like a regular carrier because I want to go to 4.10s?

XtremeJ said:
I have a dana 30 factory limited slip with 3.55s. Is there a gear break like a regular carrier because I want to go to 4.10s?
you mean d35? AFAIK there is no limited slip from factory for the d30 (d30 is front d35 is rear)

Correct: no factory limited slip for the front D30

The rear D35 carrier break is 3.55 and numerically lower (If you have 3.55 now, you can use 4.10, 4.56, 4.88 etc. If you had 3.07 you would need another carrier.)

The front 30 break is 3.73 IIRC... (Factory 3.07, 3.55, and 3.73 OR switch carriers for 4.10, 4.56, 4.88) The only 'common' LSD for a 30 is the True Trac by Tractech.

Thanks, it must be a Tru Trac then. Now do I keep it for my daughter's XJ with 31's or sell it to get a locker for mine with 33s?

that's a hard call... (not)

Consider that a TT requires setting up the gears again if it's moved from one axle to the next. Also consider that the used market for a low # TT may be slim, and that they aren't too high to begin with (approx $325?) so...

But having some experience with one, I'll say that they are not a bad unit... way better than open diff up front (especially if you can set up your own gears) and pretty much invisible in 4WD, but certainly not as positive as a locker. I'd consider one again, but only for a rig that has the NP242 Selec-Trac T case that will use the AWD mode.

old thread...found it by searching...
can anyone tell me if the grand cherokees with the np249s came with lsd d30s? just curious if by saying "no factory d30 lsd" (ketjar, woody), you are also referring to the grand cheros

i have read that the np247 equipped grand cherokees (quadra-drive) have a front traction-aiding diff (gerator pump, called vari-lok), i don't know how well these work or how much they run though...

Back