• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Seat ???

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 with reclining cloth seats with the adjustable headrest.

I'm in the "Clydesdale" category as far as XJ owners 6'4" 320lbs.

My seat back is doing the reclining thing without being in a reclining position! Has anyone ever diassembled their seat and re-bent and then reinforced the hinge and frame assembly. I have the FSM's and it shows these things come apart but I'm hesitant to pull it out and start disassembly and then discovering things cant be reinforced or it looks goofy from restuffing the pads. If it can be done, I'll make the attempt and document it with pics as I'm sure others have the same issue.

Searches don't scare up much on the topic anywhere.

I'd hit up a junk yard and get a seat but mine are in great shape, EXCEPT for the layback riding angle.

Thanks,

Yes, it's not that hard to get the seats apart. If you look closely you'll see that the covers have zippers, and the foam padding can be removed whole. The only part you may have trouble with is getting the back cover off where the headrest holes are, but you don't really need to remove that unless you're laundering the covers. Just peel it upward and leave it there. There are also some stiff wire crosspieces that come off, which you should kind of keep track of, or record how they went together before you forget. It's probably not that hard to figure out, but recording the disassembly might save time.

The seat frames tend to crack, especially the sheet metal buckets. You can weld up the cracks and other damage, and add little reinforcing gussets to taste pretty easily with a light-duty wire-feed welder. If you can weld, it's definitely worth doing.

My drivers seat on my 98 broke, took it to a local automotive upholstery shop in allentown Pa where I was working and he removed, disassembled, repaired and reinforced it in several places, restuffed it with new and better foam and put it back in. Total cost $50 cash.... I to am on the large size, 6'5, 260 lbs. Since I had this done I have had no more back problems like I had been having during my 160mi a day round trip commute. Sitting XXXXed to one side was no good for the spine...

Back