• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for BRASS terminal cap/rotor for 4.0

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
I went to both AZ and AA last night to do a tune up, but neither sold a brass terminal cap/rotor for my Jeep. Does the Mopar performance cap/rotor use brass or aluminum like all the other caps I found? Is there anywhere else to find a cap of this type?
Thanks,
Bryan

UPDATE: OReilly has a brass cap, but doesn't have a brass tipped rotor.

Last edited:
Ford six cylinder caps fit, the only difference is the lack of the vent hole (on the Ford caps) that I´ve actually found to be a plus, more than a minus.
Most of the prblem I´ve noticed on the caps, is the oxidation (oxides green and white crap) on the high voltage poles (and rotor ends) and the carbon dust fromt the in cap center pole.
Personally I clean out the distributor cap often and replace it yearly. Which makes a miss at idle much more rare.

8Mud said:
Ford six cylinder caps fit, the only difference is the lack of the vent hole (on the Ford caps) that I´ve actually found to be a plus, more than a minus.
Most of the prblem I´ve noticed on the caps, is the oxidation (oxides green and white crap) on the high voltage poles (and rotor ends) and the carbon dust fromt the in cap center pole.
Personally I clean out the distributor cap often and replace it yearly. Which makes a miss at idle much more rare.

Do the rotor buttons fit too. I'll probably pick up a Ford cap since it won't let water into my dist. Which engine should it come from---200, 250, 300 or some other Ford 6?

I get Borg-Warner from my local, and they've always had brass terminals (of course, the parts guys there have known me for years, and know I'm a picky SOB, so I think they've learned to keep one set on the shelf for me by now...) A quick visual will tell you all you want to know - and if the rotor tip is painted, give it a quick scrape across the face with your pocketknife to look under the paint (it won't hurt to leave it on the rest of the rotor, but give the very tip a pass with a point file or emery before you install it.)

Like I tell everyone here - get your fluids at the big chain stores, but go with the smaller outfits for parts. You spend a little more, but you have a better chance of getting precisely what you want, and the counter guys are usually of a significantly high calibre (and that alone is worth extra money!)

5-90

5-90 said:
go with the smaller outfits for parts. You spend a little more, but you have a better chance of getting precisely what you want, and the counter guys are usually of a significantly high calibre (and that alone is worth extra money!)

5-90

I agree wholeheartedly! Most of the small shops are operated by the owner. This usually makes them much more interested in the quality of service they provide (as it should) unlike the megastores where the counter guy is someone who just wants a paycheck.

Just replaced my cap & rotor with a Borg-Warner a couple of weeks ago.
It had the brass terminals. I think was a whopping 14 bucks for both cap & rotor. Sorry, I have already emptied my garage trash, otherwise I would dig out the box & get you the P/N.

oldmustangjunkie said:
I went to both AZ and AA last night to do a tune up, but neither sold a brass terminal cap/rotor for my Jeep. Does the Mopar performance cap/rotor use brass or aluminum like all the other caps I found? Is there anywhere else to find a cap of this type?
Thanks,
Bryan

UPDATE: OReilly has a brass cap, but doesn't have a brass tipped rotor.[/QUOTe

Try Blue streak. Idunno if you can get em where you are, but they are brass and lifetime guranteed. I just got mine and it'll be the last one I buy for my 4.0! Just take it back and get a new one free:)

FUNKYTEE5

I have that Accel brass cap (ACC-120330). It came with the Accel Truck Tune-UP kit.

it came with the regular rotor and not the brass one though. Does a non-brass rotor make a difference? I imagine if it did it would be very little.

dakotus said:
I have that Accel brass cap (ACC-120330). It came with the Accel Truck Tune-UP kit.

it came with the regular rotor and not the brass one though. Does a non-brass rotor make a difference? I imagine if it did it would be very little.

Initially, there probably isn't a difference in performance but the brass units are far more durable as compared to the aluminum cheapies. The aluminum contact units seem to corrode fairly quickly. Resulting in rough idle and loss of mileage down the road:)

FUNKYTEE5

About a month ago picked up a NAPA/Balkamp w/brass terminals.

Was not aware of different grades; I asked for a cap and got the brass.

HTH

Mike #300

Back