• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom oil filter decision

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where one can go to get the thread size/capacity/valving specs for various filters BY PART NUMBER? What I would like to do is actually compare various filters that would fit my XJ (narrow it down by thread size first), both so I could have alternatives based on availability, and for max capacity.

I also have a Chevy 454 engine, and Delco has replaced the original filter with a smaller version (original disco'd), and I'd like to get the biggest possible there too.

I'm not sure if there are any other differences among a mfg's filters, like valve specs, or whatever, but I'd assume it's either got-a-valve or not, filter area, can size, and thread size are the only diffs among the various numbers from a mfg. Other than that, it would be buy it and try it, an expensive way to do it...

Thanks.
Skip

On the 4.0, just use your favorite brand version of the Ford V8 filter (Motorcraft FL-1A, Fram PH8A, Purolator, etc.). It is almost twice as big and provides about twice the capacity of the Mopar short filter. Works great on my 2000. I know the Purolators and Motorcrafts are supposed to have the anti-drain valve. Don't know about the others.

When I used to work in auto parts, we would use the filter books and look back a few years to find the larger old-style filters that would work to replace the newer small ones. This worked for most GM, Ford, and Chrysler apps. The oil filter bases/threads usually did not change, even if the filter size did.

Get your hands on a Wix catalogue - very good technical information.

Watch out on the Ford filter swap - the RENIX XJ's have metric filter nipples (M20x1.5, as I recall) and the Ford filter uses a 7/8"-something thread. I think this can be changed by changing over to a later filter adapter, but I can't swear to it just yet...

A good short-chain or mom-and-pop local with WD's should be able to get you the WIX catalogue for you for nothing (reminds me, mine is about 10 years old and I should get a new one...)

WIX filters are a good deal better than Fram, and they have industrial applications for your consideration as well...

5-90

Back