• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Fram or Not to Fram

K2XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Its time for me to do my first oil change on my newly acquired 95 XJ. I have noticed on this and other sites that there is some resistance to people using Fram oil filters. People seem to think that they are poor quality. I have always thought they were a pretty good filter and they are always easy to find at just about any store. Am i wrong?? Fram has three different filters, are they all bad (double guard etc)??

So whats the truth. Anybody had bad experiences with fram oil filters. What filters are better?

If Fram oil filters are bad...are their air filters just as bad??

Another note, is there anything extra that should be done at the same time as the oil and filter change??

Thanks everyone

To Fram or not to Fram?

NOT!

I'm on a borrowed computer so I don't have the URL. Do a search, on Google, not NAXJA, for the Mini Mopar oil filter study. The guy tested a lot of filters, and Fram was the worst. This has been supported on NAXJA by a number of people reporting that their oil pressure is in the toiulet, and when they switch from a Fram filter to something like a Wix or Purolator the pressure miraculously comes back to normal.

I've used FRAM exclusively for decades until recently. What I found is a significant improvement in oil pressure and anti-drainback after switching to another brand ... namely K&N.

Just be aware if any front/rear main leaks emerge ...

Conversely, I still use the FRAM HP1 on my other vehicle ... and wouldn't change that for anything. I've compared it to others, and by far, is the most robust, high flow filters for race engine applications---of course it gets changed very frequent.

Btw, they don't make those for XJ's ...

In my opinion, you can't use a broad stroke when saying one brand is better than the other.

i ran Fram for a long time just because it was what was on the shelf... i never had any problems. for the last few years i have run Mopar filters or K&N and more recently Purlolator Pure1....

K2XJ said:
I have always thought they were a pretty good filter
Then you've never cut one apart and compared it to another brand of filter. I used to be in the same boat as you; I bought into all the hype about them being the best. That was until I heard some bad talk about them. Then I cut one apart and compared it to an STP filter.(same cost) It became clear to me that Fram's are *VERY* poorly constructed inside. They usually have a meager amount of filter media held together by CARDBOARD end-caps; every other filter uses metal end-caps.

It seems that the best bang-for-the-buck oil filter lately is the Purolator PureOne, or for a buck or two less the regular Purolator is a good choice too. If you want, get a filter specified for a Ford 5.0 V8. (Purolator #30001) It's the same thread size and diameter, but is about 50% bigger for better filtration. It also increases your oil capacity by 1/2 a quart, so you'll have to pick up 7 quarts, instead of 6.

I think this is the site that Eagle was referring to:
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Good luck with the new XJ...

Chad

His tests were also done for the 2.2/2.5 Chrysler engine, which the Ford 5.0L filter fits up to (never tried it though, maybe if I buy another one, man those little buggers get under your skin :laugh3: ) I have been useing the PureOne with good results and currently have a Napa Gold (it's what Dad could get in a short time for the last oil change) on my '98. Not too sure what was on it when I bought it though, it was just plain white.

Fram is all I have used for years and never really had a reason to change.

Granted I never cut one open, but, I change my oil/filter every 2500 miles in both Jeeps and my Honda and they all still run.

i'm running fram now, and my pressure sucks, its gunna be changed shortly. but just my .02 cents.

I've had problems in the past with drainback on the fram filters. I pull the filter and no oil runs out all over the place because it's almost dry inside. I've been using the pure one lately, seems everyone else is too because half the time I go to buy one they are out of stock. Also I've been using the filter for the ford 5.0 for years, works like a filter.
Bradlybob

I just put another 2.5 in my MJ, I used a Fram filter, (What wally world had on the shelf) and she started acting up. Now I know why. I always used AC or Wix/ NAPA before. Guess the MJ gets a new filter tonight.

All the stuff I found steered me away from FRAM pretty quick. I always thought they were all the same in the price range. It is funny to hear people say, I have been using them for years and haven't had any trouble. SO, I usually stick with the purolators.

This is awesome everyone...never really realized how big of a 'Fram Revolt' there is..i think i will be finding a purolator filter and putting that in...and buy one more fran filter just to cut it open...anyone know if the air filters are just as bad??

Fram's air filters are just fine and I've found that they actually fit better than any other brand air filter I've used in my 87. I have also recently switched to Purolator from Fram and my oil pressure actually looks like it improved a bit.

I used Frams religiously until I bought a new 88 Mustang GT. First oil change, I used a Fram. I immediately started losing oil pressure at 3000 rpms and above, gage would show it almost going to zero as the RPMs increased. Thought it must be a defective filter. New Fram and more oil. Same result. Now I thought it must be a factory defect and since it was under warranty, I drove it to try to break it before I took it into the dealer. Didn't break. Dealer checked everything and it determined the filter was bad. They changed the oil and put on a Motorcraft filter. No more oil pressure problems.

Haven't used Fram since. I use factory filters for the imports and Purolator PureOne for the Jeeps.

I have had the cans blow off of two Frams, one on a 2.8 S10 and the other on my Trooper II's 4 banger. Had the O ring seperate from the can and stick on the oil boss, my fault I did not notice, made one heck of mess when I put the new fram filter on with TWO 'O' rings thank be that my 7 yo daughter was helping me and said the new filter is peeing all over the place.
Now I use Mobil-1 filter, next choice is K&N and 3rd is Mopar OEM from the dealer. I tried a purolator but it took a 10 count for the oil pressure to build up in the morning instead of the almost instant pressure I was used to...

My dad has used fram filters for years, and while my jeep has always got the first thing I came acrossed at the parts store, I've been running a fram and mobil1 in my neon since buying it 2 years ago. After reading the article mentioned by eagle I now know why I need to put big $$$ into the top end of my motor. NO MORE FRAM.

Back