• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dying 89 XJ

Noodle

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ and it was not running so I replaced the fuel pump and now it will start and run for about 5-10 seconds and then die, I tried switching around the relays and jumping the resistor but nothing seems to work. Also the relay that is second from the front is ticking/buzzing what is that relay for? Any help will be greatly appreciated I am frustrated!

sounds like a fuel problem- not enough explosive juice building up for the need.

this could be backwards, but

front-
o2 sersor relay(heat)
fuel pump relay
B+ battery latch(activator)
AC relay-(cycler)

and if I remember right, my fuel pump relay has been buzzing/ticking for over 4 years now. Swapping didnt help.

Interesting... I never noticed a clicking from mine, although I don't check it often ;) Sounds like the ECU is turning it on and off?

My pump IS loud most of the time (sometimes though, it's just fine). Could it be that mine is not being turned on and off rapidly and is "full on" all the time, making it louder?

Skip

The starter relay bypasses the normal fuel pump wiring when the key is in the start position. You typically have enough pressure to run for a few seconds if the normal run position wiring is faulty.
Have a look at the ballast resisitor, jump it for a test, it really doesn´t do much anyway. Have a look at the female spade connectors in the bottom of the relay block. There is usually a bunch of die electric grease under the relays and under the relay block. Pull the plastic hold downs for the relay block and turn it over (carefull of the wiring) and look at the under side, mine was really nasty and corroded. A good cleaning with brake cleaner and/or contact cleaner seemed to help.
If you can find a BMW or Mercedes at the you pick auto wreckers, pull the OEM (Bosch) relays, they are really superior to most others. The OEM (not replacement quality) relays, have a really good coating ont he contact surface that outlasts most every other relay, I´ve tried.
There is a wiring recall, for the relay block (fuel pump relay) on the late 80`s XJ´s (forget exactly which years). But I´ve seen them wired both ways, with no noticeable difference in fuel pump function.

Back