• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding Rear Wiper

xj_convert

NAXJA Forum User
Hello folks-

long time FSJ owner (Wag/Chero/J Truck), just got the XJ religion.

The previous owner tells me that the rear wiper is sluggish when cold.

I noticed myself that it sounds "loud" or more gear noise than I would expect.

I've never had an XJ tailgate apart. Is the motor and drive one assembly, or
is there a seperate motor/gearbox and the gearbox typically gets tired?

Thanks for you time

XJ_CONVERT

it's all one piece the motor and drive are all one piece, and it isn't usually the motor that goes bad it is the gears that break i had it happen to me. if you want to change it just take all the stuff on the outside of the jeep off first (wiper arm retainting nuts and plastic form for washer fluid) after this go inside and take the panel down and then you will see that there is if i remember correctly 3 bolts un do those and it comes right out. i got a replacement from napa for about $65.00 alittle costly but it is a nice to have a rear wiper

If you haven't removed the panel before, you should know that it is held in with plastic trees all around except along the glass length. It is hooked over the hatch. Start at the bottom and work your way around both sides. If you do it carefully, you maybe able to reuse the trees. Some people attach it with screws along the bottom when the trees get loose and the panel rattles. You have to be careful because your are screwing into fiberglass not metal.

The wiper change out is easy after that. BTW the gears are what strips and are not replaceable.

Back