• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I guess it was my turn for CA Failure...

Are thoes Rustys Offroad control arms?

They seem to be the arms that break the most...

AARON

hmmm welp not RE - here is an RE arm -
IMG_2424crop.jpg

rangerjoe2001 said:
those are rustys

Only Rusty uses exhaust tubing for bushing ends.

I have a theory why it happenned. Who knows how long I had been driving around like that (this is my DD) Because the thread count on the these adjustables (yes they are from Rusty) is so low I ordered the jam nuts some time ago to alleviate a "clunk" over every bump in the road. That worked. However, the side effect is that flexing (as with stock CAs) will distroy rubber bushings. So I threw in polys. Therein lies the issue. CAs that can't flex, metal failed over time vs. the poly. My theory at least, something had to give. New RE3780's are on the way. If I knew then what I know now....

"Stranded in Virginia"

I don't know why you guys always bash Rusty's. His parts are of the highest quality and never break more than every other brand on the market. No wonder it broke, his parts aren't made to run on a Dana 900 front axle. I've never had any problems, so naturally, his his stuff is great.

Hey Old Man, why don't you sart a sticky for Rusty's broken junk. That way when someone says what I just said, we can just direct them to it.

Same exact failure happened to me on the 'Con a while back. I took off the arm and finished 3 link style and drove home. I later welded it back together and then welded a 1/4" strip around the busing sleeve anad on the threads.

xxxj-va said:
I have a theory why it happenned. Who knows how long I had been driving around like that (this is my DD) Because the thread count on the these adjustables (yes they are from Rusty) is so low I ordered the jam nuts some time ago to alleviate a "clunk" over every bump in the road. That worked. However, the side effect is that flexing (as with stock CAs) will distroy rubber bushings. So I threw in polys. Therein lies the issue. CAs that can't flex, metal failed over time vs. the poly. My theory at least, something had to give. New RE3780's are on the way. If I knew then what I know now....

"Stranded in Virginia"

While your theory of "poly stiffness caused the metal to break", may be true in this case, does that sound like a good excuse?

Do you really want to run a control arm that can be broken by a bushing trying to flex?

On another note, did he actually sell you an adjusting arm without including a jamb nut? Or are they designed to twist on the threads?

Yep, It's designed to twist on the thread.
Just called Rusty to ask him that question. And indeed, he stated: "If you put a jam nut on them, loosen it before you go off road so the LA can rotate." He also said to give him a call, there is a warranty.

Warranty, that's cool. I'll call tomorrow maybe. Unless its cash back or someone will buy a the replacements from me I really don't need the hassle. They just aren't designed for me and I'll just deal with this all over again...no bashing, just not the product for the way I use it..

-P

Back