• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tires for SE wheelin?

SewerBoss

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trading my YJ rock wheeler for a nice XJ next month and its gonna need some new tires. Which works better for Tellico and the surrounding areas. BFG MT's, MTR's, or something else. This will be in the 35" flavor, and the lighter, the better. Thanks,
Nate

If a dd get some Super Swamper Trxus. Great wet weather traction on the road (can't say that about most MT's), and excellent off-road. From my experience with buddies MTR's and my Trxus, the Trxus is better period. They're also alot less money than the MTR's.

Greddy

I wheel Tellico regularly with BFGs they work great, I've never been more pleased with an MT type tire, can't believe how long they're lasting.

It's not going to be a daily driver. Maybe once a week and cruising around on the weekend. I had TSL's on my last jeep, and loved them. I just wanted something bigger than a 33, but I don't think the Dana 30 up front is ready to handle 36x12.50 TSLs.

Nate, How's it going??? You gonna come down for the Crawl this year???

Like the said, on the trail rig I would run nothing but a Swampers but if its a DD go with BFG.

Kudzu said:
Nate, How's it going??? You gonna come down for the Crawl this year???

Like the said, on the trail rig I would run nothing but a Swampers but if its a DD go with BFG.

I'm gonna try to make it. What are the tentative dates? I guess it's actually over to Tellico now, since I only live about an hour away!
Nate

Cool...July 7-9 there will be a few of us there all week...Proboly come over on Moday

We will have the family stuff on Sat or Sunday anyway....

We are running the 34x10.50 on a D30 and I know another running the 36s...But I also know how you drive soooo...But it would be worse with a BFG or MTR would have to get on it harder...

I've run the BFG AT and replaced them with MTs. Now I'm running SS IROKs. For Moab type stuff the BFG MT was the best with the IROK a bit better in nasty mud. If I could have gotten it in 36" I would now go with the BFG MT. The IROK is really noisy on the road.

Kudzu said:
But I also know how you drive soooo....

LOL. Well, I'm hoping with 4.88's and dual detroits I won't have to drive like an ass all the time! Probably either going to get 35" BFG MT's or the Q78 Swampers.
Nate

Swampers...Yeah 4:88 are nice and the auto is even better...Kevin says that he is gonna put a Long arm on my yellow one if I keep it...Can't wait for Tellico with that one..If not I will be running in the 84 with the 32s...

SewerBoss said:
It's not going to be a daily driver. Maybe once a week and cruising around on the weekend. I had TSL's on my last jeep, and loved them. I just wanted something bigger than a 33, but I don't think the Dana 30 up front is ready to handle 36x12.50 TSLs.

Leave the 30 open and get non disco 297 shafts if U don't have them already and 760 or Longfield u-joints. Also if U run the 297 or 760 Spicer u-joints weld the caps. The TSL radials are a nice wheeler dd and as civilized as U will get for a ss for the $. I haven't seen the Iroks yet, but the 36x12.50x15 tsl radial is a good size. If this is going to be a dd seeing a decent amount of mileage I wouldn't go with more than a 33x12.50x15 tsl radial. MTRs are great and I've had good luck with them here in Cali, but they aren't that good in the mud. A cheaper MT would be a Dunlop MT that U can get at Sam's club or a American Tire MT. But SS do mud very good and with getting a radial tire, you'll have a decent dd tire as well. If U can spring a little more the SSR is a nice tire as well from SS.
Troy

xjaddiction said:
If a dd get some Super Swamper Trxus. Great wet weather traction on the road (can't say that about most MT's), and excellent off-road. From my experience with buddies MTR's and my Trxus, the Trxus is better period. They're also alot less money than the MTR's.

Greddy

Ditto what he said. I've run BFG ATs, MTs, and have been running Trxus for about a year now. The trxus whoop the BFGs off and on-road imo. Of course, if yours isn't going to be daily driven then I would get swampers w/o thinking twice. They rule in the SE terrain.

So whats the best rim size for those Q78's? It's already got 15x8's. That gonna be okay, or do I need to drop down to 15x7's?
Nate

jeepbme said:
how are the BFG MT for daily use?? Noise, ride etc? 40 miles each way?
I'm running the BFG MT right now and my personal experience is that the BFG MT is not so good, especially for a daily driver. It's noisy as it wears some and does not handle well on wet pavement or snow. My friends run Truxxus, ProComp MTs, or Kumho MT, and the all out run me off-road even though they're set-up about the same. I don't drive crazy, but I'll be lucky to get 35-40,000 miles out of them which is also a lot less then the Truxxus or Kumhos for sure, and the BFGs will have less then 100 miles of off-road.
:arrowr: I'd go with the Truxxus if it's gonna be a DD, the Swamper if not...just my .02.

Big Red said:
Leave the 30 open

just to get bigger tires? pose on!

I've had great luck with the BFG MT and SSR at Tellico, trxus seems to be a good choice....but if it's not a DD, the Q78s would do well I think (I'd like some myself).

As for rims, you might as well run the 8 inchers since you have them. If the Qs give you trouble or get in the way, then switch to the 7".

Pat

Pat said:
just to get bigger tires? pose on!

I've had great luck with the BFG MT and SSR at Tellico, trxus seems to be a good choice....but if it's not a DD, the Q78s would do well I think (I'd like some myself).

As for rims, you might as well run the 8 inchers since you have them. If the Qs give you trouble or get in the way, then switch to the 7".

Pat

I am going with the Truxus MT 31x10.5/15x7-4.5"bs on my daily driver and LTB 33x13.5/15x8-3.75" bs on my trail-pig. Second choice for the trail pig would be Swamper TSL 33x12.5.

Heather & Kevin let me test drive their spare set of TSL 32x9.5 up in Tellico, and I was surprised how well they worked... but they are a little narrow for my liking. They are easily as tall as my old 33" BFG MTs.

I would NOT recommend TSL radials, or any of the street/trail MTs for serious muddy/wet rock work: WAY too easy to slice sidewalls.

Hope to see ya on the trail again soon Nate!

Back