• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Problem

climberjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 with the 4.0 and auto. Recently, I floored the engine and it would not shift into 4th gear. It revved up and made a slight whining noise, but did not accelerate. It only does it in 4th gear (I believe it is 4th, cant remember if these have an overdrive) Can somebody help me figure out what happened?????
:rattle:

4.0 Engine Wont Acclerate

Ok, so I originally posted this as a tranny problem, but after taking it to a tranny shop, they told me the tranny was fine and the engine was causing the problem. It will not accelerate when it is in the higher gears and I floor the gas. It just revs and makes a spinning noise. It is a 94 with the 4L and the AW4. Has anyone else had this problem????????

Re: 4.0 Engine Wont Acclerate

So I'm alittle confused. Do you feel the transmission shifting up to 4th gear and then won't drop down to accel? Or is it not shifting into forth gear and your rpms are way up? Or is it downshift and shifting up fine but won't accel like a lack of power? Does it work when shifting manually through the gears?

It will not shift into 4th gear and just revs. I tried putting into 3rd manually and it worked fine, no revving. I cant tell if it is the overdrive though, but im pretty sure it is 4th gear because when i tried it, i only felt it shift twice into third gear, then when I floored it, it accelerated a tiny bit, then stopped and just revved.

i have seen several threads on people having problems similar to this that involve the tps. I know what it is, but what does it do?? Should it be replaced, or does it just need adjustment?

Sounds exactly like a problem w/my 92 sport I had several years ago. A wise Jeep mech. told me to clean all the grounds first and then do the throttle position sensor. The grounds had little affect but the TPS took care of it right away. Replace it, I think you'll be happy with the results.

Hey thanks for your help guys. Im laughing now, because the problem had nothing to do with the tranny. All that was happening was the crappy tubing I used in my air filter setup was collapsing over the throttle body and choking the engine when I would floor it. So, see my other thread in the performance section if you have any ideas on some tubing I could use instead of the crap I have in there now. Thanks again

Back