• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ center console removal

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
Later today I am going to replace the carpet and pad in my Cherokee.
BEFORE I start on the replacement, can anyone explain specifically just how to remove the center console from the transmission hump?
I understand it can be a bugger if you have not done it before as there are some hidden screws to locate and maybe a little voodo to perform...
Thanks, "GOD, I LOVE this site"

All the fasteners that hold down the cargo holder, reove it, gently pry up the 4wd and gearshift indicaters, remove auto lever by squeezing and pulling black handle stright up forcibly, gently pop off center dash vent thing. No tool except maybe a paint stirrer or other stiff but non-marring implement.

I think you may have to slacken the ebrake (from beneath) alot so the ebrake lever can travel ALL the way up so the console can slide back with enough room to remove. Someone might have an easier idea, I think I'm right though.

Don't forget the heating vents that run through the console to the rear seats, and maybe the rear seat ashtray, may not be required, though.

You'' prolly find a stray screw here and there I forgot to mention.

Email me if needed, [email protected]

Mike #300

OK, here's how I remember it going on my '01 Sport. It's been a few months, so hopefully I won't be too far off-base. Also, I'm assuming you've got an automatic in all of this.

- Remove handle from shifter. Press in on the button and pull back until it pops off.

- Using a flathead screwdriver or similar, prise off the gear and transfer case selector covers. Remove any lights attached to them and put them aside.

- You should see one or two screws next to each lever. Remove them.

- Open the centre console lid and remove the two screws that hold it down to the rear of the console.

- Remove the two screws at the front of the storage bin near where the console lid latches down.

- At the bottom of the storage bin, you should see either two or four screws. DO NOT attempt to remove the console without removing them first. Now would be a good time to do that, and take the storage bin out as well.

From here, it gets a bit hazy, but I seem to remember that I pretty much just slid the whole thing back and it came out. IIRC, the transfer case was in 4LO, gearshift in 1-2, and the handbrake was all the way up. YMMV.

DAMN.... YOU GUYS ARE GOOD!

Between what you both said it came out easily. I felt rather odd sitting straddle the console and ripping the "T" handle off the auto transmission shifter tho..

Just an 'aside': A few days ago I put a OEM cruise control in and it was a snap... all except for the fact one of the gorillas on the assembly line must thought he was putting a steering yoke on a B-36 the way he torqued the steering wheel down. Took a Proto wheel puller and proceeded to strip one of the puller bolt holes out of the alumnum yoke. After getting past the sinking feeling, proceeded to drill and tap the yoke 7/16x14. Next try pulled the other bolts threads out! So, the second hole was given the same treatment. Factory has the original bolt boss bottomed-out apparently to keep anyone from winding down into the clock spring. By boring clear through there is nearly 3/4" of threads as verses barely 3/8" originally. 2 hour job took most of the bloody day!

Now today when replacing the floor carpet, I find a twisted-off bolt which is one of the two holding the emergency brake bracket in... so had to drill it out and tap it also. I am getting GOOD at this tapping stuff, just wonder why the Jeep people had this one assembled in the Gorilla Pen at the Detroit ZOO?

Idahjo,

Right after I bought my Classic in '98, my ladyfriend have me the oem cruise control for Christmas. Bad enough working around airbags for the first time (NBD now) I did the identical thing; stripped out one of the bolts holding down the steering wheel and had to find/tap hole to get the steering wheel off.

Coincidence... I don't think so... :paperwork

Mike #300

mikeny59 said:
Idahjo,

Right after I bought my Classic in '98, my ladyfriend have me the oem cruise control for Christmas. Bad enough working around airbags for the first time (NBD now) I did the identical thing; stripped out one of the bolts holding down the steering wheel and had to find/tap hole to get the steering wheel off.

Coincidence... I don't think so...

Mikey (know I am misspelling it but always liked the name "Mikey"):

SOUNDS LIKE YOURS WAS ONE OF THEM ALSO 'LET OUT' TO THE DETROIT ZOO, MUST HAVE HAD A LABOR SHORTAGE IN '98 ;-)

If anyone tells you that a 39 y/o guy traded in a '97 Outback for a Gunmetal Blue/Grey xj (on a Sunday night) new off the lot '98 Classic, DON'T believe 'em. :gag:

It wasn't my fault the tjs' and xjs' were sitting around the factory while all the available 4.0's went into zjs'. THAT was the truth.

BTW, the "ny" in my name is where I hail from. Hopefully in a year or so that'll be changed to "fl"

Mike #300

JEEPZZ said:
idahjo, you replacing your carpet? Where you get the new stuff and how much was it?

Got it finished and it sure came out NICE! Last owner apparently slopped coffee all over the floor in all 4-positions...

Jeeps Are Us (http://www.jeepsareus.com) was factory replacement and fit like a glove. ALL holes and pass-throughs were there. Cost I believe was $250.00.

Back