• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
Found an 8.8 for $300 dollars with 4.10s , disc brakes and limited slip, is this a good deal? Can the rear end work if I have ABS, and would you guys recommend it over a 44? Just trying to find the way to go next. Thanks guys.

Yes it's worth it...no your abs won't work...yes, I think it's better than a 44. Sure it has c clips but they make eliminator kits. The shafts are heavier, it has disc brakes(that alone makes the swap worth it, without a doubt). I didn't have to do a prop valve work and if you're handy with a cable crimper, you can make your own ebrake cables with the factory ford cables. Just weld on new perches, get a flange adapter for your drive shaft and go beat the snot out of it. The lsd probably isn't worth crap but it is slightly better than open. Upgrade to a detroit and it will handle 35's with ease. I beat the snot out of mine and never had a problem, even with c clips.

Just do it!!

Hey Joe.. $300 isn't a bad price. that's pulled, right? if shipped, that'll be another $80 or so. the 8.8's with 4.10's are pretty tough to find. they're definitely not as common as any of the other gearing.

i *believe* that you'll have to disconnect the ABS.. i could be way off here and if so, hopefully someone chimes in on this one.

and yes, i'd recommend it over the D44.

Thats a great buy!!! I paid $500 for mine with 4.10s and the disk brakes. The ABis not a factor, theres a plug on the top of the diff for the ABS. I didnt mess with it. Nor did I have a problem on the proportioning valve. I did get the e-brake cables from M.O.R.E. but probley could have done without and used my brain. I'd say go for it.

This is all sounding great I think that I am going to have to go ahead and buy this thing. I it does come with the brakes complete and all, sounds to good to be true, but it also only has like 60,000 miles on it. Thanks for all the input guys ii will keep you posted on the swap.

I have 2 questions about 8.8s... How large tires would you feel safe running on one, and could i mount the axle off to one side so that the driveshaft is straight and put a spacer on the other side to compensate for it being offset and not as wide or is this a bad idea?

the pinion isn't offset enough that it causes problems, just run the axle centered. with a full-carrier locker (detroit, ARB) and welding the tubes to the case, you could run 38s pretty safely, even bigger with alloy shafts.

do a little searching, all this has been covered in just the last week.

heres a pic of the offset in my xj, during the mockup stage, just before we tacked the perches in place...

its pretty close to my big ol stock muffler, but it doesn't hit, maybe .5-.75 inch

no vibes either...

88in02.jpg

I have also been considering this swap, but I have a few questions. Can I use the spring perches off the 8.8 say out of an explorer or do I need new ones. I would like to keep my 8 1/4 in one piece, so if i need new perches where can I get them?

BrettM said:
the pinion isn't offset enough that it causes problems, just run the axle centered. with a full-carrier locker (detroit, ARB) and welding the tubes to the case, you could run 38s pretty safely, even bigger with alloy shafts.

do a little searching, all this has been covered in just the last week.

What....what??? 38's on a 8.8 I know the thing is strong, but people told me not to run my 37" mtrs on my 31 spline full width 9", so I sold the 3rd member with the detroit in it and got 35 spline Yukon alloy shafts and a Strage Nodular case. Oh well, I know I can beat on it without worry now. :)
Troy

jeep1947 said:
I have also been considering this swap, but I have a few questions. Can I use the spring perches off the 8.8 say out of an explorer or do I need new ones. I would like to keep my 8 1/4 in one piece, so if i need new perches where can I get them?

You can use the old ones if you take care when removing them. For a cleaner weld and attachment I used the ones from M.O.R.E. They fit perfect to the tubes with no problems. Like stated before... weld the tubes to the main body to prevent them from twisting.

jeep1947 said:

you know, your time is money/valuable. it's going to take you a couple hours to get another set off another axle or cutting the currents ones off to remount. trust me, do yourself a HUGE favor: cut those things off as quick as possible, grind it down smoothly and spend the $18 at your local ford dealer for new perches.

almost everything you need for this swap can be bought for decent prices at your local dealer and through your local autoparts store. i spent almost $165 for everything including shock mounts, spring perches, 1330 flange, 1310/1330 u-joint, ALL new brakelines (hard lines, junction, OEM soft lines to calipers including brackets, etc..), flange bolts, grinding the rotors, paint, custom u-bolts, etc... this is not an expensive swap by anymeans. if you're looking to get everything from one place and not willing to do the footwork, that's where the price goes crazy. take your time, spend a few days doing your homework & gathering parts and this swap can be very cost effective.

formatt said:
you know, your time is money/valuable. it's going to take you a couple hours to get another set off another axle or cutting the currents ones off to remount. trust me, do yourself a HUGE favor: cut those things off as quick as possible, grind it down smoothly and spend the $18 at your local ford dealer for new perches.

almost everything you need for this swap can be bought for decent prices at your local dealer and through your local autoparts store. i spent almost $165 for everything including shock mounts, spring perches, 1330 flange, 1310/1330 u-joint, ALL new brakelines (hard lines, junction, OEM soft lines to calipers including brackets, etc..), flange bolts, grinding the rotors, paint, custom u-bolts, etc... this is not an expensive swap by anymeans. if you're looking to get everything from one place and not willing to do the footwork, that's where the price goes crazy. take your time, spend a few days doing your homework & gathering parts and this swap can be very cost effective.

well - id reccomend new perches as well - for two reasons
1- cutting too deep and removing the old ones and attempting to save might cause axle tube damage - and your trying to get the strongest axle for your $$$ here
2- MORE and a few others sell the 7" spring pads, and that will help with axle wrap and extend the life of your springs - do it right, do it once...
in talking with Ben about his 8.8 (jedi.com) he said that is his only regret to date...

I used MORE anti wrap perches and JKS shock mounts. the MORE perches are so much more beefy..

heres some piocs of the perches and shock mounts tacked in place...and brake lines fabbed up...

88in_build01.jpg

88in_build02.jpg

88in_build03.jpg

88in_build04.jpg

Ok, I am on a tight budget but I can see $50 for MORE spring perches. My other concern is the major offset diff. I am stock now, but will be installing a 4.5-5" lift and dont have the money for a sye and ds so will i have a problem with major vibrations because this is a DD. I was wondering if i could just give about 4* more than stock pinion angle to cancel out the vibrations. I also heard the the new ds people get with the sye have more problems with this swap than people with stock ds.

trailxj said:
I used MORE anti wrap perches and JKS shock mounts. the MORE perches are so much more beefy..

heres some piocs of the perches and shock mounts tacked in place...and brake lines fabbed up...

88in_build03.jpg

88in_build04.jpg

well maby i'm missing something buy why would you go thru the trouble of building an 8.8 to fit under your xj, buy the most expensive mounts possible. and not WELD THE TUBES TO THE HOUSING. in just about every write up about and 8.8 everyone tells you to weld the tubes to the housing. like i said maby i just can't see the welds but if you did all that work without welding the tubes that's just plain dumb

sloppyjoe said:
Found an 8.8 for $300 dollars with 4.10s , disc brakes and limited slip, is this a good deal? Can the rear end work if I have ABS, and would you guys recommend it over a 44? Just trying to find the way to go next. Thanks guys.

Sloppyjoe,

At the shop I work at we were able to do an 8.8 conversion in to an ABS equiped cherokee and maintain the ABS. It took some serious effort but it works awesome!! Every other tooth had to be snipped off of the tone ring and it took two (2) superlift truespeeds. Was a great setup when done. We also got the e-brake cable from napa (grand cherokee it think) and m.o.r.e perches.

Curtis

Back