• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x10.5x15" on stock rims?

dphillips

See,what had happened was
Has anyone tried mounting 31x10.5 inch tires on factory 15x7 inch rims. Will it rub on the control arms? I've already lifted this xj (RE 3.5") and I'm concerned with the backspacing on the factory set of rims. Any insight on this would be a apreciated.
If I change to an 8" rim what backspacing should I be looking for?

My advice would be too get some wheels with the least amount of backspacing possible. Those stock wheels are too close to the control arms in the front, and the leaf springs in the back. There is 1 inch between my rear inner tire and my leaf spring. I only have 2 inches of lift and I wouldn't go any wider than the 9.5" wide 235/75/15's that I have on my stock wheels. I am getting some black steel rims next week with about 3.75" or 4" backspacing to clear all my lower compnents. Look under your rig and see for yourself with the front wheels straight. Look at it with everthing straight and level, and you can imagine how close it all gets when you're out wheeling or driving. Go for aftermarket.

I have lifted 2 xj.s w/ a 3" and an RE3.5" SF which is my current set up...both 31x10.50x15 M/T's on stock rims. Never had any problem w/ the rear although like mentioned above it is close...as for the front, the first set up i deffinatly rubbed at full lock on the little lip of the factory control arms....not too bad at all though, i just didnt do full locked turns, as for my set up now w/ the tubular control arms, no rubbing at all...besides, when you wheel if you plan on disconnecting all your going to do is rub when you tuck up into the wheel well. Nothing serious though...have fun.

Don't get 3.75 or you will tear up your flares especially if you have MT's unless you have like bushwackers or something. Go with a 4.25 or 4.5 inch back space. Factory is 5 1/8 ". Speaking from experiance. I have 11.5 and 5" of lift. But 10.5 aren't that much smaller.

You need to get new rims with little backspacing. Have the same set-up and bought the rims and tires at one time. A local who wheels a lot gave me that advice.

The rims I bought were fro Big O for about 40 apiece brand new.

The work well.

Eventually I will replace these rims with something else. Probably a 15x8". It just seem like there is a wide range of opinion on the proper backspacing to fit a 31x10.5 on a 3.5" lift. From what I've seen on some of these threads the optimum backspacing for a 15x8" rim could be anywhere from 3"-4.5".

I have that setup, BFG AT/KOs, the fronts rub a bit on the LCAs at full lock, but offroad, they stuff really nicely (but rub the plastic bumper endcaps a little, no big deal though....just trim)...I will be getting wheels with more backspacing eventually though...but this will then necessitate trimming because the tires will hit the flares...

I have been running the stock 15x7 rims with 31-10.50s for years with no rubbing.An adjustment of the steering stops was needed in the front to stop a small rub at full lock.
Less backspaced wheels will let more road splash/mud cover the side if thats the look you want.
Wayne

Been doing it for a while, no rubbing at all. Did rub some when I had 32x11.5 though. I've a RE 4.5 thats 6 years old or so so it's probably sagging to where a 3.5 lift is. No rubby, me happy.

dphillips said:
Has anyone tried mounting 31x10.5 inch tires on factory 15x7 inch rims.

I have the stock 15x7 on 31x10.5x15 right now and they do rub at full lock , I'll be getting 15x8 in the spring with a 4.0 to 4.5 back spacing.

I ran 31X10.5 on stock rims and 3 inchs of lift for a while. Only a little rumbing on the lower control arm at full lock. Bot bad :gag:

Back