• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears and Carrier Question.

rock rash

NAXJA Forum User
I was told that to replace my current gears in my bhrys 8.25 from 3.07 to 4.56 i need a new carrier. i would also need one for my dana 30 front. is this true. or can i just buy gear for a dana 30 and chrys 8.25 without needing new carriers. Thanks

Casey

You will need new carriers, for the lower { high numerical} gear sets. It's a good time to add a full carrier traction device, & skip buying carriers 2x's

Rob

i thought that the carrier break in the 8.25 was at 2.7something - and there was one carrier for all the rest...

XJ_ranger said:
i thought that the carrier break in the 8.25 was at 2.7something - and there was one carrier for all the rest...
Yeah, the break for the C8.25" is 2.45+down, 2.56+up so no new carrier is needed for that move. The D30 break is 3.54/3.73 so a new carrier is needed there.

yotaparts said:
no new carrier for the 8.25 just the d30

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the 8.25, never worked on one. But like I said, you might look into adding a full carrier traction device when you get ready to do it, then you won't have to pay 2x's, & tear it apart 2x's, if you ever think you'll go that route. I made that mistake 3x's. Went from an open carrier, when I did the gears, then added a True-Trac, & now I've got a Detroit :doh: Luckly, I did the work myself, but if your paying someone to do it, try to look down the road a few years, & the type of wheeling you think you would like to do, & go from there. Then again, you can always lunch box it if you have an open carrier.

Rob $.02

rock rash said:
I was told that to replace my current gears in my bhrys 8.25 from 3.07 to 4.56 i need a new carrier. i would also need one for my dana 30 front. is this true. or can i just buy gear for a dana 30 and chrys 8.25 without needing new carriers. Thanks

Casey

Hey, your in FC. There's a yard in Greeley w/2x 4.10 front D30s. The Carriers would work for what your looking for. And the guys are right, nothing needed for the 8.25.

hjeepxj said:
Hey, your in FC. There's a yard in Greeley w/2x 4.10 front D30s. The Carriers would work for what your looking for. And the guys are right, nothing needed for the 8.25.
what yard is it...and it has gears and carrier? would 4.11 gears work for rear then since i dont think they make 4.10 chrys 8.25

rock rash said:
what yard is it...and it has gears and carrier? would 4.11 gears work for rear then since i dont think they make 4.10 chrys 8.25

Anderson's u-pull it, its off 8th st. (out east a bit) and yeah, you can do 4.10 front 4.11 rear.

Back