• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering??

GPRSDLYT

NAXJA Forum User
i want to redo my entire steering. im thinking of the following:
1. borgeson steering shaft
2. agr super box 2
3. agr super pump
4. currie steering system
i run 33's now and in the future 37's/38's and would rather do the work now than later. does anyone have opinions about the potenial parts? if so, what would you recommend. i dont have the access to build my own steering (would if i could though) so i would like everything to be "boltonable" and "weekend doable". thanks in advance!
btw, i do run a r.e. p.a.
I LOVE NAXJA

Do a search on these forums for "AGR" -- I do not kmow a single person with an AGR box who is happy with it, and I cannot recall a single post from anyone with an AGR box who has not had major complaints. There are other sources for boxes.

For the kind of lift you'll need to fit 37/38" tires, you should be considering an over-the-knuckle steering setup. Currie's is a beefy version of the factory Tri-Y

EAGLE- who makes also makes steering boxes? i can get a brand new stock unit from the "dealer-ihavefriendswhoworkthere-ship" for the price of the agr. should i go that route?

MAXJOHNSON- i know other NAXJA members dont like to here rustys but, what if i did his knuckle to knuckle tie rod kit and flipped it on top. if i recall "JNJ" has pictures posted showing this.

what about the shaft? thanks for replying guys!

gprs------I know someone knows for sure but the j20? fsj jeeps had a direct bolt in donor steering gear for the cherokee, and you can get those at auto parts stores or something. I know that matt from west texas offroad---maker of the redneck steering ram----would know for sure----http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html-----------Kyle
P.S. --by the way the donor steering box from the fsj is what agr uses and sells for twice the price;)

I have an AGR steering box and I don't care for it. I sent my other box to Tommy Lee (Lee Enterprises) and had it rebuilt and beefed up and I really like it. They also recommend the bigger box if you want to get one and send it to them for modification. They will also do your pump to make sure it pumps enough to work with their box.

The Currie stuff is good, but it's not really recommended for tall lifts like yours. It is strong, and it will work better than what you have, and it will bolt on, but it's not ideal. No one makes a bolt on over the knuckle steering setup, which is what you'll need. You can get the links made from a number of places, Spidertrax, Avalanche Engineering, and a few others, but no one makes the parts necessary to relocate your sway bar links. Off Road General Store just came out with a weld on mount to relocate the track bar above the axle for OTK steering setups, but it's not bolt on.

The Rusty's is OK for short lifts, but not for the tall ones, and if you're willing to drill the knuckles for an OTK setup, you might as well find a friend who can weld and get links made and use the ORGS track bar mount. Either figure out how to mount the sway bar links or get stiff coils and run without it.

I have no experience with the Borgeson steering shaft, but it can't be bad.

Sure looks like you're willing to spend money. If that's the case and you really want to go that big, why not swap in a 44? That's what i did to go to 37s and I did it more for steering than any other single reason. I'm now able to use all the trick early bronco steering stuff. VERY beefy components.

If you're sticking with the 30, I'd stay far far away from Rusty's. I had their over-the-knuckle kit and sold it almost immediately. The parts are tiny. I had no faith in it at all.

There's a shop out there whose name I can't seem to find that produces a very nice replacement passenger side outer knuckle. The replacement knuckle allows you to convert to a T style steering setup with the drag link going to the top of the knuckle. This'll let you run a very stout drag link and tie rod.

EDIT: There's also a shop or two out there offering a bolt-on or weld-on bracket for the stock knuckle to accomplish the same thing. I'm not talking about those and I'm not sure I'd have much confidence in 'em either.

As for the steering box and pump, the stock pump should do the job. If you don't think the box is strong enough, add hydro assist. I'd call Rockstomper for help with that. They sell a small gauge assist setup and the main guy there will tell you pretty much everything you've ever wanted to know on the subject.

so perhaps i should do a teraflex knuckle and try to do a steer setup out of d.o.m tubing. sounds like the best bet. how about rod ends....spherical or factory off a 1 ton truck or something.

XJCHUCK72 said:
There is also the WJ Knuckles, and bigger disc's and caliper's. Check ORGS site.

It's www.orgsmfg.com . WJ stuff is more of a custom thing right now but depending on the year XJ and what parts/other things are done the brakes can be impressive. Here is a link to an article I wrote with editing by Berkeley Johnson. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/ This is still a ongoing project and I will probably change to WJ tie rod ends instead of the heims. I will have to sleeve and retaper the knuckles.

Excellent write-up Mike !!!

With all the work you put into the conversion and the jig, were you planning on offering the custom parts for sale?

You'll almost never hear me bitch about certain produst, but I feel compelled to steer you away from AGR......I'm speaking from personal experience, and its not just one instance......I should have learned my lesson the FIRST TIME.

I have the second agr box (first one was for a cj-6) siting in my garage, which I wouldn't sell on ebay or even someone I hated its that bad....

Scott Mac was just telling me about J-series PU boxes......do a search on POR for the info.

MaXJohnson said:
Excellent write-up Mike !!!

With all the work you put into the conversion and the jig, were you planning on offering the custom parts for sale?

Thanks. I have some parts being used older style calipers and used rotors (one time use) that are redrilled to 5 on 4.5". ORGS Mfg sells (others also) the spacer that can be welded on the knuckles and requires (possibly 84-89 hubs) or, 00-01 hubs (some minor grinding inside the adapter for clearance may be necessary).

I'll have to throw my 2 cents for the LEE MANF. box. I have one of his rebuilt 76 boxes on my CJ-5 & I'm completely happy, he might not be the closest seeing how he's out in So. Cal. We've used his boxes in a class 8 desert truck with great results (as many of the offroad guys do). Alot of the hotrod guys use him....
Good Luck !!
Curt (Xtreme XJ)

let me say thanks to everyones input and it was indeed very helpful. does any one have a website or number for lee mfg?

GPRSDLYT said:
let me say thanks to everyones input and it was indeed very helpful. does any one have a website or number for lee mfg?

Lee Mfg........(818) 768-0371. I have found them to be knowledgeable and helpful over the phone. I sent them my gearbox and it was back in just under three weeks. BTW, it was $40 to add the fittings for hydraulic steering assist.

Back