• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny draining questions

XJ4Roks

NAXJA Forum User
ok so im gonna drain the tranny and transfer case but what about the torque convertor? im not seeing any plug for that puppy...any help would be awesome! sorry for the dumb newbie questions, this is my first time dealing with any auto tranny. this is on a aw4 btw, thanks in advance!!

also im replacing a small piece of the metal line in the cooler line with rubber tranny line is this gonna be ok?...its only about a 3" piece where my lower control bent it and pinched a hole in the line. im thinking two clamps on each side and ill be fine but im still gonna ask yall. thanks again!!

Sean

Last edited:
so there isnt a way to drain the convertor unless i pull the tranny i found out, womp womp!! anyway it started raining on me so i came inside, but i was just to the point of getting the pan down but noticed the filler tube is going into the pan, so how does that come out?...just pops out?

There's a drain plug in the AW4, so no trouble there.

Most methods of draining the torque converter that I've ever seen break down to one of two ways:

1) An active flush, either with a machine or with a pressure source. Requires a LOT of fluid (it's an 8-quart fill for a dead empty AW4 w/TC, vice four for a drain/fill.)

2) Drill two holes in the TC 180* apart. Allow to drain. Plug holes with special blind rivets and a touch of sealer. Refill.

Why are you bent on changing all the fluid - does it look that bad? As long as it's still reddish and doesn't smell burnt, you can do the "service change" (only four quarts) without trouble.

Also, the AW4 filter is a metal strainer that is mainly meant to keep the pump from sucking up large broken bits. It does not really require replacement, and cleaning is fairly rare (I'd have to see a lot of crud to want to pull the pan...)

Best thing I've come up with is allowing the fluid to drain over a large magnet on its way into the pan. If the magnet looks "fuzzy," I'll pull the pan and detail the inside of the transmission (clean the inner magnets in the pan, check the filter inlet, and give everything a good going-over.) I don't usually have to use it, but I've got a "service seal" kit that I keep on the shelf for the AW4 just in case a greater inspection is warranted. Been there for about 5 years.

5-90

I just do the 4 qt 'service change' then drive it a day or two and do it over, replace the remote spin on filter and call it good for another 10,000. I've had a spare 'filter-screen' for awhile now, but on 3 different AW4 trannies, none had fluid looking poor enough to warrant dropping the pan.

OK, I'm hardcore about changing the fluid. I pull the pan, clean it and look for chunks (some fine sediment is OK), put the pan back on using RTV gasket stuff. Go find something else to do for a while. Refill the pan. Next pull apart the line connector between the cooler and return line, then drop the rubber flex portion (cooler side) down. This is where the ATF fluid caught in the converter and tranny internals will come out. Start it up, have helper say when 2 litres/quarts are out. Shut off and add fluid. Repeat until bright, sparkly red ATF is coming out. I use a case (12 litres/quarts) from Costco plus a couple more to be sure- this has been lots. It's extreme, but it works. It's also a bit messy, and the "quick connect" on the rubber to metal tranny return line is a pain. If not just right, it won't come out.

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I'd rather not start a new thread.

I just got my AW4 drained/refilled at a dealer. Idiots put ATF+3 in it. Big controversy going on now with them. Im taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at.

Can someone be more specific as to where the drain plug is for the AW4? Im not seeing anything under there.
thanks!

Back