• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flipped over into mud, won't start!

mission-inc

NAXJA Forum User
Sooo i was screwin' round in the mud and this "puddle" turned out to be a trench. Long story short, the jeep flipped onto the passenger side and was about frame rail deep in muddy slop. The jeep won't start, or even turn over now. :rattle:

i've checked the distributor cap, fine. the fuse box was on the passenger side, but all the fuses look fine. Today I took the starter out cleaned it with some electronics cleaner and put it back in, still won't start.

I think i need a new starter, but could it be the CPS?

Thanks,
Scott
:repair:
(1995, 4.0, auto)

pics of the roll over will be coming shortly, after i install front page... :gag:

Battery is on that side, along with alternator and the fuses/relays. A battery sitting in water for any period of time MIGHT have some issues...

First, you have to get that starter going. Did you check the relays in the PDC (fuse/relay box in the right side of the engine compartment) and all connections as well as the battery?.
Once the engine turns over with the starter, let us know what your symptoms are.

mission-inc said:
Sooo i was screwin' round in the mud and this "puddle" turned out to be a trench. Long story short, the jeep flipped onto the passenger side and was about frame rail deep in muddy slop. The jeep won't start, or even turn over now. :rattle:

i've checked the distributor cap, fine. the fuse box was on the passenger side, but all the fuses look fine. Today I took the starter out cleaned it with some electronics cleaner and put it back in, still won't start.

I think i need a new starter, but could it be the CPS?

Thanks,
Scott
(1995, 4.0, auto)

pics of the roll over will be coming shortly, after i install front page... :gag:

i would start with the CPS, when i sunk my cherokee it wouldnt start because of that thing..

jldiaz said:
First, you have to get that starter going. Did you check the relays in the PDC (fuse/relay box in the right side of the engine compartment) and all connections as well as the battery?.
Once the engine turns over with the starter, let us know what your symptoms are.

I "checked" the relays, but i dont own an ohm meter so i really can't tell if their fried. (i would expect them to be though). Now, for the PDC, is it possible for that to be fried? I could probably find a decent one in a bone yard, and fill it with brand new relays (the fuses are all alright). :gag:

Battery is on that side, along with alternator and the fuses/relays. A battery sitting in water for any period of time MIGHT have some issues...

I thought that the battery could be SOL, but wasn't sure. Everything electronic works, but the battery gauge in the cluster reads low (little more than "9"). I tried to jump start it, no luck.

i would start with the CPS, when i sunk my cherokee it wouldnt start because of that thing..

:rattle: I was hoping it wasn't this. I'd be willing to replace it just to cover all the bases. How much should I expect to pay for a new one? Easy swap? I have a haynes & chilton so i'll firgure out how to install it later.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm no engine guru although I really wish I was.

Oh and FYI - I replaced the starter today and still no dice. I have a hunch that's telling me my relay's are f*cked...

9V at the battery, so have it checked. It's probably bad.
Once the Batt is OK, check/change the relay. Check/clean all connectors that may have been under the mud. The PDC will probably be OK after some treating with contact cleaner (take it out of its bracket and inspect the connections from below while you're at it). Then try the starter again. I wouldn't think about CPS & other stuff before the starter turns. Most sensors are on the left side of the engine, anyway.
Did your Alt get muddy?

When you turn a lead/acid battery on it's side two things happen, plates get exposed to air and any sulphation that has taken place gets redeposited on the plates and shorts them out. Each cell should be putting ~1.5V out, if you have shorted out plates you won't get that voltage out hence the 9V though you should pick up a vtvm and check. Also one day to dry out a dunked XJ is not really long enough, 3 days in a dry heated garage with the hood up and a couple of floor fans blowing on it....maybe.

RichP said:
Also one day to dry out a dunked XJ is not really long enough, 3 days in a dry heated garage with the hood up and a couple of floor fans blowing on it....maybe.

not related to the starting problem, but if you dont like cancer - pull your carpits and allow them to drain/dry outside the rig - no matter how long after the flood - they will still be wet unless they are pulled...

I hate to mention this as a possible problem but, does the starter try to crank then stall? There is a possiblilty that your rings aren't in the best of shape and the cylinder got oil in it while sitting on its side. That would cause hydrolock and stall the starter. Just for grins, pull all the plugs and see if it turns over, that is if the starter is making any noise at all.

Lots of luck

RichP said:
When you turn a lead/acid battery on it's side two things happen, plates get exposed to air and any sulphation that has taken place gets redeposited on the plates and shorts them out. Each cell should be putting ~1.5V out, if you have shorted out plates you won't get that voltage out hence the 9V though you should pick up a vtvm and check. Also one day to dry out a dunked XJ is not really long enough, 3 days in a dry heated garage with the hood up and a couple of floor fans blowing on it....maybe.

Didnt know that about batteries, interesting stuff. I guess it's time for an optima :)

I ripped out the old carpet thinking I was going to replace it, which was a bad idea when i found the price of new carpet. I'll try to salvage the front carpeting as much as I can. :hang:

My alternator probably got dirty, but while it was tipped i noticed it wasn't submerged (thank goodness). I'll worry about the alt after i get it started. :lecture:

Thanks again. I'll get some relays and a new bat tomorrow and see where im at. :repair:

old_man said:
I hate to mention this as a possible problem but, does the starter try to crank then stall? There is a possiblilty that your rings aren't in the best of shape and the cylinder got oil in it while sitting on its side. That would cause hydrolock and stall the starter. Just for grins, pull all the plugs and see if it turns over, that is if the starter is making any noise at all.

Lots of luck

Starter's making no noise. I hope my engine's alright... :gag:

when i needed mine replaced i had my bro do it because his had are smaller and arms are thinner.. sounds wierd but its a diffrence of about 1 hour if you find some 1 like that. anyways its just two bolts i think like 13mm maybe i dont know its been a while. just reach along the fire wall down the back of the block and you'll feel it on the drivers side.. it will put you back about 90 bucks..

but im almost positive that it will fix your problem if the cps gets wet it causes carosion (sound it out) and that would make it not send a good signal.. just try it, it will be worth it wither way..

if your guages are working try jumping the starter directly to the battery. You will at least be able to see if you can get it to start. I don't think that it is your cps because you can't even get the engine to turn over yet. But depending on how long it ran after you tipped it, I would probly pull the spark plugs shoot a little marvin mystery oil in there, crank it over, and see what shoots out. When I dunked my jeep that is all I ended up doin. The pond get alot deeper than it looked. For a couple of months I had a couple of electrical problems but it has been about a year and nothing anymore. You have to give everything a chance to dry. Definately pull the ENTIRE carpet and clean out the inside with a spunge and pressure wash the carpets. You won't believe how much dirt will get under there.

It's alive! :clap: :guitar:

I got the jeep started today. After replacing the starter, getting a free battery (old one was still under warrenty :) ), and finally replacing the relays in the PDC.

Pretty sure it was the relays that were fried, but hey a new free battery can't hurt right? :wierd:

Thanks for all the help guys. Now I can concentrate on the interior. The carpet is all out and most of the panels are out and clean. All I have to do now is power wash the carpets and throw everything back in. :repair:

Thanks again, you guys rule!

Back