• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NW Skid Plates

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
I want the NW opinion from some of you that I have talked to and follow into battle.

What I have sitting in the living room:
Crane Front Diff Cover
Rocky Road Rear Diff guard
Rusty's Tranfer Case Skid.

I am searching Salvage yards for Gas Tank Skids.

Should I grab these:
Hope it wouldn't conflict with my Tow hooks.
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...ys&Product_Code=JS-XJ35&Category_Code=xj_skid

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...ys&Product_Code=JS-XJ11&Category_Code=xj_skid

http://www.skidplates.com/specials.htm

Thanks guys
Jason

Jason,
My opinions are as follows:

Stock Gas tank and front skid are decent and useful (reasonably cheap).

Other skids need to be made or bought aftermarket.

Here is my order of importance:
1. Front Skid (more important at 4.5" of lift and lower)
2. Gas Skid
3. Front dif guard
4. Transfer Case Skid
5. Rock Sliders
6. Rear corner guard skids (or cut them off, or rear bumper)
7. Rear dif guard
8. engine skid
9. LCA skids

Note: Front and rear bumpers might come into play but not sure if they can be considered skids or not.

Hth,
Michael

Where would you put the front bumper and a winch in that line up.

Michael? Would you cut or add a shackle and spacers for the 32's? I want to keep stock flares in place.

I know you guys like to build your own. But I am looking at some of AJ's Super Square Rock rails. Good choice?

Thanks
Jason

Last edited:
Matt98XJ said:
I'm running the Tomken gas tank skid. It's fairly cheap, and its held up fine so far.

That's the one I was going to buy if I didn't get the smokin' $10 factory skid deal from a wrecking yard in El Paso. :D

As for fronts man...I know a lot of folks not running them, myself included. When you are infected with inchitis and go taller, you run into the fact that you have a huge gap between it and the front diff. Ever see anyone get a rock between the two? :p It'll change your mind... :)

JMotorsprt said:
Where would you put the front bumper and a winch in that line up.

Michael? Would you cut or add a shackle and spacers for the 32's? I want to keep stock flares in place.

I know you guys like to build your own. But I am looking at some of AJ's Super Square Rock rails. Good choice?

Thanks
Jason

Personally I would do that 1.5" budget boost (shackle and spacer). You still will probably want to do some trimming but it will all be hidden under the stock flares in stock position.

As for Rock rails, I can not remember which are my favorites ( I made mine). I would pick the thickest with the most mounts along the pinch seam and frame.

HTH,
Michael

IMO the essentials are TC skid, rockrails, and gas tank skid (in that order). But the true answer is that It depends on where your going to be wheeling.

If you know your rig, and are careful you can get by without all the extra luggage. Just my oppinion though.

Here's my next investment (After TW sends me the SYE)... http://www.rocky-road.com/xjrockrail.html

steprail2.jpg

steprail1.jpg

Sort of looks like mine doesn't it? I got too many little bumps down low this weekend!

Jason, mine came stock with skids...I think it's really saved my butt (my underside, actually...). Focus on the skids, watch eBay. You'll find them!

I'd pass on the engine skid and the rustys front skid I,ve also never had a need for a rear diff skid, if you really feel the need for one I have a turbo city rear diff skid you can buy cheap;).

the front skid isn't totally necessary until you get the front end caught up on a stump then it makes a great ramp to get down withough tearing something off, but if you can't get it for under $50 then pass.

Even if you're sitting up higher and a front skid no longer offers protection, I've found that it helps me in water crossings and keeping some of the mud and crud off my alternator. FWIW, I've left mine on and figure it can't hurt.

John90XJ said:
Even if you're sitting up higher and a front skid no longer offers protection, I've found that it helps me in water crossings and keeping some of the mud and crud off my alternator. FWIW, I've left mine on and figure it can't hurt.

I have heard lots of people say they are worthless at 6" or more. I agree with John, well worth having it there, particularly for alt protection.

Michael

I have a aftermarket tc skid and rock rails ,that was some of the first things I installed and I`m glad I did. They have saved alot.Then I did the winch.

2xtreme said:
Jason,
My opinions are as follows:

Stock Gas tank and front skid are decent and useful (reasonably cheap).

Other skids need to be made or bought aftermarket.

Here is my order of importance:
1. Front Skid (more important at 4.5" of lift and lower)
2. Gas Skid
3. Front dif guard
4. Transfer Case Skid
5. Rock Sliders
6. Rear corner guard skids (or cut them off, or rear bumper)
7. Rear dif guard
8. engine skid
9. LCA skids

Note: Front and rear bumpers might come into play but not sure if they can be considered skids or not.

Hth,
Michael
I don`t see a cb radio on the list ,makes communicating easier ,calling for help and directions. :lecture:

Smart Ass. A CB would be recommended in the basic recovery equipment list.
I found my CB it last week. Just need to install.

JMotorsprt said:
Smart Ass. A CB would be recommended in the basic recovery equipment list.
I found my CB it last week. Just need to install.

Actually I think the comment was directed toward me! your right, neither is the winch. However, believe it or not I have both and for some reason can not keep either of them working properly for my trail runs.

Actually the CB died on the way to the trail this weekend. The winch is all ready and needs to be wired properly so that I can use it. They should both be working by North West Fest (if you want you can get lost and call me on my CB for a hand winching you our of trouble:)!!

Back