• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

humor for the day, critique my welds

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
Started fabbin' my sliders yesterday, I just need to attach them. First time really welding. Here is a picture of my weld (booger welds) Any critique would be appreciated. Am I too hot, too cold? I am welding on a 220 arc. Let me know what you all think. And without further adieu, your humor for the day.

boogerweld1.jpg

Is the rod sticking alot? Are you blowing holes in the metal?
Try going slower and seeing how that looks.
KEEP PRACTICING! It'll come.:wave:

Like BrettM said get some metal and practice, try just welding beads on metal rather than welding metal together till you get the feel for it.

and are those open toed shoes in the first shot part of your welding attire? :) may I suggest enclosed leather footcoverings? guaranteed to make your welds look better too.......

really though, those welds look poopy......try more practice to learn your heat, speed, rod angle, etc before you jump on the fabbin' train....wooooo woooooo..........

BrettM said:
wow... that's terrible, looking at least.

practice (alot) on scrap metal and chop welds in half to check penetration
I love constructive criticism, penetration is excellent. The rod sticks sometimes, but not a lot. If I use smaller rod at a higher heat it will blow a hole through it, but not the thicker rod. Keep the criticism coming, I am a man, I can take it.

XJEEPER said:
and are those open toed shoes in the first shot part of your welding attire? :) may I suggest enclosed leather footcoverings? guaranteed to make your welds look better too.......

really though, those welds look poopy......try more practice to learn your heat, speed, rod angle, etc before you jump on the fabbin' train....wooooo woooooo..........

Nope, no opened toed shoes here in chilly reno. I know I am an amateur, but I am not stupid. Thanks for the tips!

get some 1/4" plate, about 4"x4", and just lay beads on top of it in a straight line, laying one bead right next to the other. when you cover the whole plate, do the same thing over the top of those beads but turned 90 degrees. repeat. when I first learned to weld that's what my shop teacher had all of us do, at least 10 hours of just laying beads before our first butt weld.

be patient. it could mean your life.

Keep your day job!!!Are you using an "AC" welder?What rod are you using?

Like others have said, I would encourage you to weld some stringer beads on a flat plate. When you strike the arc, wait for the puddle to build before you start the drag. Keep your arc length about the same as the thickness of the rod you are using. If you are using 1/8" rod, keep an 1/8" gap between the metal and your welding electrode after you strike the arc.

I will practice, didn't know where to start. I will make sure to have someone go over my welds...I am using an AC 225 older lincoln with about 1/8" rod.

My shop teacher had us do the same thing when I was learning how to weld. He made everyone start with arc before we could even touch the mig or tig set ups.

We started on 4x4 chunks of 1/4 in. plate just laying bead after bead, working on keeping it even and starting and stopping (hold there for a sec to fill in your puddle.....)

Then we stepped up to joining 1/4 peices in various joints, then stepped up to joining things like box tubing and some round to a flat plate and then to each other.

There was more, but even just practicing these basics helped a lot and got me to the point that I trust myself to weld something that will hold. (granted I took the class for a semester and was pumping out ramps, jackstands, and a skid plate for more practice..... :laugh3: )

Key thing is definitely PRACTICE!

try using a 6013 rod...they are easier to learn on than 6011. 6011 is a deep penetrating rod, it is also a fast freezing rod so I recommend using the whip technique on with it. 6013 is less penetrating but much easier to work with for beginners. I would call it a contact rod so you want to keep you arc length nice and tight almost touching the puddle.

Make sure you rod is nice and dry...if it has been sitting for a while I recommend that you stick in the oven for an hour to dry it out. A nice dry rod will produce much less spatter.

91 Jeep Project said:
If he wants to weld in a pair of stilettos, who are we to judge.............:roflmao:

tried it in sandals last summer, but a stray spark started a small but containable toe hair fire.....

looks like you're having a hard time striking the arc or controling the rod

cutting your rods in half might make control a little easier at first.

you don't have to clean the metal to weld, but it helps. take a grinder to the parts where you plan on welding and see if that helps.

MaXJohnson said:
looks like you're having a hard time striking the arc or controling the rod

cutting your rods in half might make control a little easier at first.

you don't have to clean the metal to weld, but it helps. take a grinder to the parts where you plan on welding and see if that helps.

I am having a hard time striking an arc, how do I make it easier to strike a spark, turn up the juice?

Goat said:
try using a 6013 rod...they are easier to learn on than 6011. 6011 is a deep penetrating rod, it is also a fast freezing rod so I recommend using the whip technique on with it. 6013 is less penetrating but much easier to work with for beginners. I would call it a contact rod so you want to keep you arc length nice and tight almost touching the puddle.

Make sure you rod is nice and dry...if it has been sitting for a while I recommend that you stick in the oven for an hour to dry it out. A nice dry rod will produce much less spatter.

The rod I am using has been sitting for a while, I will try putting it in the oven.

Back