• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual to auto conversion

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I have the ba10/5 and I was looking to convert to a ax15 but have been running into some very good deals on autos....like a 2003 auto for $399.00,which is better than around a $1000.00 for the ax15.So if I go with an auto what is the most swappable/desirable auto trans?Will it be cheaper/easier to swap in the ax15?From an ease of conversion stand point which is more feaseable........and keep in mind that I don't want to get into the age old debate of stick versus auto they both just about even out in the advantages and disadvantages department i.m.o

Another thing is that the Auto uses a seperate computer for the transmission, at least to my knowlege. You might want to check on that. So, you might need a a tranny computer and wiring harness. At $1000 for an AX-15, I'd start looking at NV3550. A bit better transmission. I saw a complete setup somewhere for one on one of the Jeep sites for about $1000. I've seen them go for $850. You might want to look at Advanced Adapters, as they have a kit for the slave cylinder to use your master cylinder, $150 I think.
Tom

Chancer said:
Why swap at all? Have you broken it yet?
Well,we all know the reputation of the ba10/5...that should say it all,but I'll go one step farther and say that mine has a lot of gear noise and doesn't want to stay in 2nd.Rebuilds on this tranny are hard on your wallet also.Ratherbcamping;I did'nt think of the tall gears in my axles,but that wouldn't be a problem because I need to regear anyways(I'm running 34s).CW:The thousand dollar price tag is an "installed"figure,meaning after I find one on ebay or at the yard for about $400.00 then put a rebuild kit in it(roughly $200.00)then buy the input gear for the transfer case(another $200.00) and lastly buy the external slave for the ax15 If it came with the internal($200.00)but these are all rough estimates,and are not approximate.I'm so damn undecided on the deal....I'll probably go with the ax15 over the auto because I like compression braking on downhills,and it seems like it would be easier to swap a manual to a manual,if you know what I mean.Well,the search continues.Has anyone dealt with man-trans.com?They have a peugot to ax conversion package complete with remanufactured tranny and transfer case that is supposed to be a bolt in deal.But it's freakin over $2000.00!!Wow talk about sticker shock!!What do you guy's think?Is it worth it?

Last edited:
I'd probably give Dave's Jeeps in Salem Ohio a call. Also, $200 for the input shaft is way high. I would probably look at a newer transfer case for not much more. I have a broken transfercase from a 92, I would probably go $50 on the input shaft, or if you want $50 for the whole thing. Just want my money out of it. I think it need a chain. I do have an AX-15 from a 92. Its internal slave cylinder though. Free for the taking. When I bought it, the guy said it was OK, but has 200K on it. No shifter.
Tom

jeepdeepfreak said:
Has anyone dealt with man-trans.com?They have a peugot to ax conversion package complete with remanufactured tranny and transfer case that is supposed to be a bolt in deal.But it's freakin over $2000.00!!Wow talk about sticker shock!!What do you guy's think?Is it worth it?

I bought an AX-5 from Man-Trans (on EBay) for my son's YJ. Very professional and the trans has worked flawlessly for 18 months now. They shipped it on a pallet and I strapped the old one on the pallet and shipped it back. I think the total damage was $725 including shipping. Normally I would have shopped around, but the YJ is my son's DD and it was out of commission.

I've seen them selling the conversion package on EBay for about $1,700. You're right, you can shop around and do it cheaper, but it's a nice clean package they offer, which makes it tempting to me (also a BA-10 owner).

I'm sending you a PM.

Thanks,
Tom

Here's the $$ invested in my auto swap for my 89 XJ

I got a low mile 96 AW4 from the local latemodel salvage yard--$400
also snagged the shifter assembly, tranny cooler lines, cables, etc.--$75

Snagged an 88 XJ auto harness and TCU from another yard--$150

Snagged a Tcase input gear from a a buddy's trashed 231---Freebie

HD Tranny cooler and Autometer trans temp gauge--$80.00

Auto trans brake switch--$20??

Shortened Driveshaft--Freebie

Various connectors and sundries--$30

Sold my fully functioning 160 K mile BA10/5 to a happy local that saved $1300 by not having to ship one in from CA with a $1700 pricetag--$400

Perfomed the swap myself. The use of salvaged stock parts made this much easier, grafting the harnesses together consumed the most time, but the result is a swap that performs and appears as though my jeep came from the factory with an auto.

XJEEPER said:
Here's the $$ invested in my auto swap for my 89 XJ

I got a low mile 96 AW4 from the local latemodel salvage yard--$400
also snagged the shifter assembly, tranny cooler lines, cables, etc.--$75

Snagged an 88 XJ auto harness and TCU from another yard--$150

Snagged a Tcase input gear from a a buddy's trashed 231---Freebie

HD Tranny cooler and Autometer trans temp gauge--$80.00

Auto trans brake switch--$20??

Shortened Driveshaft--Freebie

Various connectors and sundries--$30

Sold my fully functioning 160 K mile BA10/5 to a happy local that saved $1300 by not having to ship one in from CA with a $1700 pricetag--$400

Perfomed the swap myself. The use of salvaged stock parts made this much easier, grafting the harnesses together consumed the most time, but the result is a swap that performs and appears as though my jeep came from the factory with an auto.

XJEEPER I sent you a PM about your TPS sensor used on your swap.
I heard the post 95 (96+) aw4s use a different TPS sensor then the Pre 96 Aw4 TPS sensors? The 96+ TCUs have a different pinout and connector on the computer. I foudn a good wiring diagram for the 23 pin connector so I chose a 96+ TCU 98 specifically.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/aw4/index.htm
http://www.stu-offroad.com/aw4/wiring4tcm.htm

I found a 23 spline 96 AW4 130k miles, Torque converter, shifter, flex plate, Tranny coller lines, for $200, and a 98 AW4 tcu for $50.

Im doing a 23spline dodge 203 flipped upside down $75 to ford 205 $50, doubler (adaptor $450) t-case setup on the new swap. I should have about $900 into it for the whole tranny, T-case upgrade, will give me a nice 4 speed computer controlled auto, 1:1, 2:1 or 4:1 t-case options, with a split case that can do front digs, or 2wd low,low.
Completely bullet proof IMO.

Last edited:
QCParts sell freshly rebuilt nv4500s and the shipped to my door price was just under 1000 bucks. I can get their number for you, shipping should be even less for you since they are in Texas and had to ship to me in northern Virginia.
...Frank

75SV1 said:
I'd probably give Dave's Jeeps in Salem Ohio a call. Also, $200 for the input shaft is way high. I would probably look at a newer transfer case for not much more. I have a broken transfercase from a 92, I would probably go $50 on the input shaft, or if you want $50 for the whole thing. Just want my money out of it. I think it need a chain. I do have an AX-15 from a 92. Its internal slave cylinder though. Free for the taking. When I bought it, the guy said it was OK, but has 200K on it. No shifter.
Tom
Well what can I say...nah,I'll pass thats too much money,wait you're giving it away...ok in that case I'll take it.You have a pm.

Greetings everyone,
Your site was reccomended to me by a fellow XJ owner.
After plenty of wheeling with my ax-15 I am looking to swap to the aforementioned AW4.
I appreicate the info, but wonder about time on task. I am not worried about it, but the TCU swap worries me......
Any and all info is greatly appreicated.
BTW-has any one used one of those interesting looking tranny controllers?

nickds_127 said:
Greetings everyone,
Your site was reccomended to me by a fellow XJ owner.
After plenty of wheeling with my ax-15 I am looking to swap to the aforementioned AW4.
I appreicate the info, but wonder about time on task. I am not worried about it, but the TCU swap worries me......
Any and all info is greatly appreicated.
BTW-has any one used one of those interesting looking tranny controllers?
I've got a little experience using the tranny controller ;)

I first made one for doing an AW4 swap in my MJ Comanche. It has since seen about 15,000 street miles, and has been used in Johnson Valley, the Rubicon, Fordyce, and several other trails around California and Nevada. The only negative aspect of using a controller in place of a TCU is that you have to manually shift all the time, which for me I enjoy, but I found it a hassle to explain to people when I would occasionally let others drive my truck.

Keep an eye on my website over the next week or two, I'll be releasing my new model which will be the best yet.

Shoot me an email if you have any more questions about the controller: [email protected]

some "testing" in Johnson Valley:
becca0204lk2rm.md.jpg

Question: has anyone ever swapped in a 929 w/ Dana 300 out of an 80's CJ?
I was just wondering because i can get one for free.....no electronics....easier? or just a nightmare.

Back