• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ cutting off hard to restart

neckbrace

NAXJA Forum User
I will be driving down the road and it will just cut off and takes like 10 to 20 times to start it back up. I did a tune up on it yesterday and last night it still was cutting off on me. Does anyone know what is wrong or what i could check??? Thanks for any help.

Matt

Crank position sensor. The engine computer needs a signal from this sensor to fire the ignition system and the EFI. If it doesn't get that signal, the engine cuts out and might take a long time to restart.

neckbrace said:
I will put a new one in and see how it is thank you

Matt

Can't you pull codes from a '95? Something about the way you turn the ignition on/off and the resulting number/type of flashes from a dash light. Maybe the check engine light? I dunno specifics about it but I bet you could find something if your search "pull codes" - ?

But, the CPS would be a likely culprit as noted.

Yes you can pull fault codes from the engine computer and this page describes the procedure:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

A bad CPS will usually produce code 11 but often there's no code at all to clue you in.

Back