• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strengthening factory roof rails...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Is it worth the trouble of adding self-tapping stainless sheet metal screws to the factory frame rails to significantly add weight capacity to the cross rails? I think the factory uses something beneath the roof that the fasteners go into, but I figure adding large sheet metal screws snugged down, maybe loctited, has to have some benefit.

I want to throw some plywood, studs, sheetrock up there and avoid the hassle of pulling the trailer from the backyard, etc...

I also have a set of Yakima mounts and tubular cross rails that attach to the factory framerails, still brainstorming.

Thanks,

Mike #300

Last edited:
Darn, seem to remember a similar thread with another here last month too, decided to save some time pulling his trailer out, broke his rear springs if I remember correctly. I'd vote for the trailer vs drilling new holes.

Shoot, forgot to mention welding vertical supports to the front c4x4 bumper and extended the roof rails to even out the springs :eek:

Remind me not to post anymore on the way back from the bano at three in the morning.

It's all because I didn't build a gate wide enough and have to pull a section of six foot stockade to get the trailer out each time.

Better work on that today before it gets nasty out, instead of finishing the remote start in the heated garage.:cry:

Gotta feed the cats, goin' back to bed.

Thanks for the chuckle, Rich...

Mike #300

Rich is referring to a post wherein I described how I lopped off about an inch of height from a 4.5" eleven leaf National Spring by stuffing close to 1k lbs. of cement, etc... with 31's and 3.55's, at least it was the automatic.

I always get exactly what I deserve :rattle:

Mike #300

Back